Is this a mal positioned pip or the start of unzipping??

Lexbarlow

In the Brooder
Oct 7, 2020
It's the first egg to start a crack but I'm not sure if its unzipping or a second attempt at external pip.

I know that them having to try again can mean they dont make it so I'm not sure if I should be doing anything for them? Obv too dangerous to help them hatch but after so long should I try open the hole a little to see what's happening or something? (I did read that some people do this to see if theres still movement inside but not sure about doing it)

First timer to it all so learning as I go.
All advice welcome

Red arrow shows first crack, blue second one with actual hole

Attachments

• 20201019_102118.jpg
    20201019_102118.jpg
    239.8 KB · Views: 71
If it's the first egg cracking, don't let yourself fuss with it until there are others that are completely done hatching.
I find it's not that unusual for chicks to adjust their hole before they're ready to zip, not common, but I've seen it happen.

I agree with the above poster, this chick will be out and running around possibly even before another one pips... or it could stay like that while everyone else pips and hatches around it before it even attempts to zip. Hatching is a long process! You've gotten through the longest part already. :) Good luck with your hatch.

I just had one pip the other day and in the morning another one pip then by late afternoon the second one came out before the first one. Now its past 24 hours and the second one has not come out yet, but I can see its beak moving at least he can breed and the hole got longer. I will check in the am, I wonder if my newly hatch chick toes will straighten out. I remember seeing that before, I think they all have problem walking at the beginning. I forget.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom