Is this a mal positioned pip or the start of unzipping??

Lexbarlow

In the Brooder
Oct 7, 2020
It's the first egg to start a crack but I'm not sure if its unzipping or a second attempt at external pip.

I know that them having to try again can mean they dont make it so I'm not sure if I should be doing anything for them? Obv too dangerous to help them hatch but after so long should I try open the hole a little to see what's happening or something? (I did read that some people do this to see if theres still movement inside but not sure about doing it)

First timer to it all so learning as I go.
All advice welcome

Red arrow shows first crack, blue second one with actual hole

Attachments

• 20201019_102118.jpg
    20201019_102118.jpg
    239.8 KB · Views: 71
It looks like you've done an amazing job so far. But now its up to the ducklings. Ducks take their sweet time to hatch. So don't worry too much. Its only day 27. They can take up to 48hrs to zip after pip. Atleast mine do. My husband banishes me from the house at hatch time because he knows how antsy I get when I have to wait for something.

If it's the first egg cracking, don't let yourself fuss with it until there are others that are completely done hatching.
I find it's not that unusual for chicks to adjust their hole before they're ready to zip, not common, but I've seen it happen.

Ducks take 28 days on average, but chickens only 21 hence the confusion!

I have to sit on my hands on hatching days. Its so hard. Luckily I have hens who go broody so don't need to rely on incubators, plus I've had bad luck with them so prefer the natural way. I'm lucky in that my hens will let me filch about underneath them and check the eggs (far too often, lol)

All hell has broken loose. 1 came out generally ok (1 that I first asked about) just worn itself out. Really big baby so its cramped in there. second 1 came out partly and was shrink wrapped so might have to help but doing ok for now. 3rd was shrink wrapped but had pipped at the pointy end and no air pocket so had to make a hole so it could breath, had trouble making a breathing hole due to all the vessels so didnt think I'd manage to save it at that point. Since I had to go in to that 1 i checked on 4th n is dead sadly :( has been a little while by looks of it.
The one upside down hasnt absorbed much at all so keeping a very close eye on him/her. Other 2 now have beak and a foot poking out and having a sleep.
Going to have a nap whilst husband is awake so I can stay up and keep an eye on it later. Both playing duck midwives.
I'm worried tho, if stops breathing then I cant help it hatch as too many blood vessels still around.
I'm doing night shift as I wont give up on the little one if I can help it in any way and couldn't forgive myself if I went to bed and the worst happened :(

Back
Top Bottom