Is this a mal positioned pip or the start of unzipping??

I agree with the above poster, this chick will be out and running around possibly even before another one pips... or it could stay like that while everyone else pips and hatches around it before it even attempts to zip. Hatching is a long process! You've gotten through the longest part already. :) Good luck with your hatch.

Between day 20-21ish maybe a day earlier or a day later but pips should begin within this time frame. I hope they do well.

If you're just using your incubator's thermometer and it is measuring 99.5 degrees then the thermometer is wrong and you will need to calibrate it before attempting another hatch with this incubator.
It's got 2 thermometers in it, one built in and another. Both been the same all the time :/

It looks like you've done an amazing job so far. But now its up to the ducklings. Ducks take their sweet time to hatch. So don't worry too much. Its only day 27. They can take up to 48hrs to zip after pip. Atleast mine do. My husband banishes me from the house at hatch time because he knows how antsy I get when I have to wait for something.
I'm already worried if I go to bed tonight I'll miss it. Be sods law they do it when I'm not able to watch

I just had one pip the other day and in the morning another one pip then by late afternoon the second one came out before the first one. Now its past 24 hours and the second one has not come out yet, but I can see its beak moving at least he can breed and the hole got longer. I will check in the am, I wonder if my newly hatch chick toes will straighten out. I remember seeing that before, I think they all have problem walking at the beginning. I forget.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom