Is this a male? & Araucana roo or something else??

totallycity

In the Brooder
11 Years
May 7, 2008
TN
I went in with 2 of ladies to buy my chicks, and they got mixed up. :mad:
Some were easy, but this one was not.
For a roo I ordered a single comb brown leghorn, but I don't think that is what this is?
The other lady ordered Araucanas, so I am wondering if this is what this is?????

Also can I assume that it's a BOY?? because of the larger comb. (it's 6 weeks old)
all my other chicks have small combs.
Also "he" will call the girls in if they scatter too far and they will follow. Great leader.
(new to this & really enjoying it
wink.png
)

As a baby... Click pics to make bigger**

Now at 6 weeks old... Click pics to make bigger**

Back end... Click pics to make bigger**

Last edited:
The comb is not very red so I would say it could be a pullet. It is not an araucana. An araucana does not have a tail and is supposed to be tufted.

Last edited:
Quote:
I was just thinking Roo because it's very "bossy" & has a large comb when all the others have none.
IF it's not a rooster I wonder how well the ladies will accept a new rooster in the cage when I add one. I really wanted fertile eggs.
I was hoping to get a roo baby so they were raised together. Any other way to tell it's a roo at 6 weeks age?

Last edited:
Hmmm. Looks an awful lot like our Welsummer chicks, except for that big comb. Definitely looks roo-ish to me!! (edited to add: I looked at your other post and I do think that all of these are Partridge Rocks, after all. They look a lot like Weslummers but they're darker. If the girls lay dark terra-cotta brown eggs, though, they're Welsummers!)

BeaOph2.jpg

welsummer5.75_weeks.jpg

Last edited:
I have what I'm quite sure is Brown Danish Leghorn.
she is 6 weeks old and has a smaller comb with no hints of pink at this point, her legs are not as yellow either.
Catherine

At 6 wks old, I would say it is a boy. I do not know the breed, but it is definitely not an araucana which has a pea comb and specific recognized color varieties. Araucana are typically also rumpless (although random tails do occur).

Jody

Back
Top Bottom