Is this a male?

Linita

Chirping
Dec 16, 2022
1 month old japanese isabelle coturnix quail.

Do you think this is a male? I don't know if it's too soon to tell, but today it started making some loud noises.

I have two quails and one of them I already know it's female, but the other one I still don't know. It's white so it can't be feather sexed. Today it suddenly started making loud noises. I am wondering if this is crowing? (see video at the beginning) I have never had quail, so I don't know. The sounds of crowing I found online are very different. This one has always been more vocal than the female, like it's purring most of the time, making soft noises. But now it has made this loud noise as well. I think it got triggered by hearing some chicks sounds on a video. It did it repeatedly but after a while went quiet again. It has also started having some random pecking sprees behaviour as oppossed to the other one.

I also took a photo of its cloaca in case you can tell from there.

yay! ty I really hope so. I attempted vent sexing with the little chicks with zero experience but tried to keep the two I liked the most that looked female to me. Anyway, I didn't know about the outcome, but might as well tried! One is rightfully so female now feather sexed, and it'd be great if this one was too!
so @007Sean @Nabiki @Huntmaster @swampfox440

Today I was making sushi in the kitchen, and then heard the music stopped. I went to check and I found out the white quail had scaped the brooder for the first time. It has two latches on the cover but even tho so it managed. It had passed on the keyboard and stopped the music.

The last 5-6 days or so the white quail has been very anxious and making so many noises, pecking the walls of the brooder and making complaining noises nonstop, pecking the other quail, pecking me, getting more and more violent by the minute. I really still don't know what's going on and why so much violence.

I let it roam free in the living room to blow up some steam. It pooped several times and I was watching it roam. Then it started pooping again, and I was like, I am really gonna watch a bird poop? Well ok maybe I haven't really ever watched it from a good angle, maybe I can see if anything's wrong. Then it started like really bumping and I was like, what kind of poop is that? Is it ok? And it layed an egg!!!!

My very first egg and I could see it directly!!! So it's a female :D I have two females!!!

It's not even 6 weeks old, just almost, and an egg already! I wasn't expecting it, also had heard that they may not lay in winter.

I am still a bit concerned about the white bird's behaviour. Is this normal? Is it puberty?

The white one has always been definitely more active and meaner than the other one, which is so calm and cuddly and good. But this has gotten totally out of hand.

I guess they don't need the lightbulb anymore? I can move them out of the brooder already?

The pic was taking just right after she layed the egg :) It's a bit small but I guess that's normal now.

Attachments

• 1674907847832.jpg
    1674907847832.jpg
    310.1 KB · Views: 8
  • 1674907847835.jpg
    1674907847835.jpg
    373.8 KB · Views: 8
IMHO, it's female!
yay! ty I really hope so. I attempted vent sexing with the little chicks with zero experience but tried to keep the two I liked the most that looked female to me. Anyway, I didn't know about the outcome, but might as well tried! One is rightfully so female now feather sexed, and it'd be great if this one was too!

Congratulations on the egg!

She was probably pooping so much both because she was nervous about being in an unfamiliar environment and because she was getting ready for her first egg.

The youngest that I've had lay was 5.5 weeks, but I've heard of younger. Six weeks is pretty normal.

Back
Top Bottom