Is this a Meat Chicken?

I would limit ALL treats and stick to the complete feed ONLY and offer said bird vitamins to see if he improves.

Last night at 9pm I went out to pick up Pearl and put her in the coop for the night. She was already in there! Not roosting of course, but she knew to go in for the night. I guess she slept on the floor. This morning I see out the window that she is out again. She is eating and drinking like normal. I haven't gone out to feed them yet (they are quite a ways from the house) to see her current condition but I'll let you all know if there is any change. Thanks for the input. :fl

Mid day Pearl went into the coop and didn't come out again. Late in the afternoon I took water (with vitamins in it) to him in the coop and he drank, he was very thirsty. He seemed to have a pretty empty crop and that concerns me. I read somewhere that Marek's can take MONTHS to kill a chicken but if he won't go out and eat it may not take long? Of course no way to know if it's Mareks or not. :idunno

Can you get some Nutri-Drench and dose him straight to the beak?

Looks like Marek's to me. Just because they were vaccinated is no guarantee that you won't lose any to virus, especially if you have had a history of Marek's in previous flocks. The vaccine does not stop the contraction and spreading of the virus. It simply prevents symptoms from showing. This has lead to extremely virulent strains evolving, that the vaccine is less effective against.

Can you get some Nutri-Drench and dose him straight to the beak?
This morning I took him and isolated him in a big plastic bin with food and vitamin water. He is eating and drinking with great gusto! There seems to be no other issue except he can't walk. This us frustrating, but I'll do what I can for him. :fl

Looks like Marek's to me. Just because they were vaccinated is no guarantee that you won't lose any to virus, especially if you have had a history of Marek's in previous flocks. The vaccine does not stop the contraction and spreading of the virus. It simply prevents symptoms from showing. This has lead to extremely virulent strains evolving, that the vaccine is less effective against.
We never had Marek's before with any of our chickens. The last flock was also vaccinated and did well. Grew up, laid over 3,000 eggs, went broody and hatched chicks as well. Unfortunately they were all killed and eaten by 3 bears last October. I'm trying to start again. Maybe I shouldn't have. :hit

Back
Top Bottom