Is this a Mille Fleur D'uccle? (roo)

Savitar

Chirping
Nov 15, 2020
When a friend had a broody hen, he bought 3 Mille Fleur D'uccle chicks at 3 weeks, purportedly from a show breeder. The hen promptly killed 2, and I got the last one. At first, I thought it resembled Mille Fleur chicks, but now he has a crazy topknot and no "fleurs". I have read that their coloring can change, and that they'll get more dots later, but he just doesn't look like any photos of Mille Fleur's that I've seen.

Francois hatched in early July, and I think he's a roo based on hackle feathers. But what is he?

Francois.jpg

Francois3.jpg

When a friend had a broody hen, he bought 3 Mille Fleur D'uccle chicks at 3 weeks, purportedly from a show breeder. The hen promptly killed 2, and I got the last one. At first, I thought it resembled Mille Fleur chicks, but now he has a crazy topknot and no "fleurs". I have read that their coloring can change, and that they'll get more dots later, but he just doesn't look like any photos of Mille Fleur's that I've seen.

Francois hatched in early July, and I think he's a roo based on hackle feathers. But what is he?
:barnie Please tell your friend it’s a very bad idea to add chicks to a chicken. A broody or any other adult chicken or older chick/pullet sees a young chick as an intruder and will attack it.

Sometimes it works to give a broody (sneaky/in the night) who is hatching chicks a newborn chick that she didn’t hatch herself.

I don't know enough about the looks of mille fleur d’Uccles to confirm if you're right or not. I agree the cockerel doesn’t look much like the Uccles I’ve seen before.

I've had silkie crosses with 4 toes on each foot, so that's not always a good indicator.
This boy is a great example.
View attachment 2412821
I think they were saying that the extra toe would be a good indicator of a silkie cross, not that the absence of an extra toe means it cant be a silkie cross.

Not a DUccle.

you can introduce chicks UNDER 1 week old to a broody hen that has been sitting for 2.5+ weeks. Older chicks won’t be interested in momma, and momma won’t be interested in them. If a hen has not sat long enough, it isunlikely that her hormones will be where they need to be to accept the chicks. There are even some broodies that will sit for 3 weeks, hatch chicks, and then kill them!!

we have successfully put 5 day olds under a momma hen. We have also successfully done this with 1-2 day olds. The hen had been sitting for 2.5 weeks in one case, and just over 3 weeks another time, and she was sitting on fake egfs We placed them under her in the dark, at night when she was naturally settled down.

We tried to introduce day old chicks to 2 different broodies that had sat for about 2 weeks....but they were pecking the chicks and not making momma hen noises at all, so we removed them. We tried this in the late afternoon in a somewhat lower light area, so the odds were against either hen accepting the chicks. We tried them separately, so no competition from the momma hens.

good luck in the future!

I didn't think he was a D'uccle. Darn, as I was getting excited about the breed. But he's a cutie, and very sweet, so as long as the other roo and standard breed hens don't pick on him too much, he'll stay.

I'll look up what the extra toes look like, and check him out.

Back
Top Bottom