Is this a New Hampshire or mixed breed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hysop

RIP Ryder (2022) & Hammy (2019)
Sep 16, 2019
SW Georgia
I found this rooster 4 months ago. It was at a local shopping center. We asked around and they say he’d been there for weeks and were happy to hear we wanted to catch him and take him home. He had mites, we isolated him and doctored him up. Now he’s well and happy. He’s really nice. He will give all his treats to the two hens we gave him (although they stopped laying, probably due to the stress of having a new rooster boss).

I’m just curious what breed he is. We thought he was a rhode island red, but looking at pictures he looks more like a New Hampshire. Or is he a mix breed?

Regardless of breed, he’s really nice. We don’t let him free range because he fights with my Black Jersey Giant. They’re both the same size but it looks like his previous owners cut his spurs which give him a disadvantage and my rooster won. We are trying to make runs for each of my flocks that way each day a different flock can free range without worrying about fights. Although my 3 roosters don’t fight. Only my adopted rescue.

Attachments

• E471A6C2-027F-40FA-813D-13F6FC455B54.jpeg
    E471A6C2-027F-40FA-813D-13F6FC455B54.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 17
  • FA28709F-9047-40B8-9975-3BF6CADEAAB9.jpeg
    FA28709F-9047-40B8-9975-3BF6CADEAAB9.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 15
Maybe a mix of a NH and RIR? He seems to red to be a NH and too orange to be a RIR. Either way hes a pretty boy and how nice to find a good boy Roo! Good luck with him!

Thanks! When we first saw him we figured it was Rhode Island Red. But the more research I did the more he reminded me of a New Hampshire.

It makes sense he’s a mix since he kinda looks like both! Well best of both worlds!

And yes! He’s a good roo. I think he’s old, but I don’t know since his spurs were cut. Is there other ways to tell?

I found this rooster 4 months ago. It was at a local shopping center. We asked around and they say he’d been there for weeks and were happy to hear we wanted to catch him and take him home. He had mites, we isolated him and doctored him up. Now he’s well and happy. He’s really nice. He will give all his treats to the two hens we gave him (although they stopped laying, probably due to the stress of having a new rooster boss).

I’m just curious what breed he is. We thought he was a rhode island red, but looking at pictures he looks more like a New Hampshire. Or is he a mix breed?

Regardless of breed, he’s really nice. We don’t let him free range because he fights with my Black Jersey Giant. They’re both the same size but it looks like his previous owners cut his spurs which give him a disadvantage and my rooster won. We are trying to make runs for each of my flocks that way each day a different flock can free range without worrying about fights. Although my 3 roosters don’t fight. Only my adopted rescue.
I can't tell from the pics, but a NH should have orange eyes and a faint stripe down their legs ... He's a pretty boy, though, and if he's kind to his hens and respectful of you and your people, he's a keeper!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom