Is this a normal back chicken toe?

alinas2010

Free Ranging
Premium Feather Member
Jul 8, 2022
Wyoming
We adopted her in March from a neighbor and her back toes have always been a little bigger, but I was looking tonight and the pads seem larger than normal, it looks like there’s dirt or something jammed up in the crevices. She doesn’t seem to have any issues walking. I tried to brush away the debris but it’s like it’s part of the skin, but I mean it won’t just come off.

Please be kind, this is our first year having chickens and I thought the bigger toes was on the spectrum of normal when we got her, although they weren’t quite this big. Probably going to soak them tootsies tonight and see what happens. In the meantime, like I asked, are these big back toes normal? Any other treatment advice if not?
IMG_8734.jpeg
IMG_8727.jpeg
IMG_8701.jpeg
IMG_8700.jpeg
IMG_8749.jpeg

Hmm, I'm wondering if it broke at some point and healed wrong. Did your neighbor keep the birds on screen or concrete?
He actually kept them in a relatively small run for the most part, it had a small wooden deck and dirt floor. Not much room at all. When they came out, which was rarely, they had access to a concrete pad.

He actually kept them in a relatively small run for the most part, it had a small wooden deck and dirt floor. Not much room at all. When they came out, which was rarely, they had access to a concrete pad.
I wonder if that's it. The nails seem pushed in. I wouldn't worry about it too much if it doesn't bother her

I wonder if that's it. The nails seem pushed in. I wouldn't worry about it too much if it doesn't bother her
They do seem pushed in. I can’t decide if it’s swelling or some variation of normal. Thank you for your response, maybe that is it.

I agree that they look like they might've broken at some point, which happens. I have a few hens that have next to no nail left on the back toe.

I don't think there's anything to treat as long as the bird is walking and jumping without issue. You could maybe use tweezers to remove some of the dirt to check if there's any signs of irritation around the base but I don't except you'll really find anything other than maybe a pocket where the dirt's getting stuck.

I agree that they look like they might've broken at some point, which happens. I have a few hens that have next to no nail left on the back toe.

I don't think there's anything to treat as long as the bird is walking and jumping without issue. You could maybe use tweezers to remove some of the dirt to check if there's any signs of irritation around the base but I don't except you'll really find anything other than maybe a pocket where the dirt's getting stuck.
Thank you, I wonder if you guys are right. Is high stepping a sign of pain? She has high stepped since we got her, not constantly but enough to notice. I thought it was just a quirk of being in a strange new place.

I will do a little soak and try to dislodge what I can, although I don’t think she’ll let me do a ton of inspection before she gets antsy.

Did a little soak, you see this thing sticking out under the nail? I thought it was mulch or something jammed up in the crevice, but it is definitely attached. I didn’t want to hurt her and yank it out. I’ll try another soak tomorrow. Do you think it could be a kernel of some sort? Like bumble?
IMG_8754.jpeg
IMG_8755.jpeg

I would continue the soaks once daily or so, and try to get anything out. It may take awhile to heal, but cleaning, and maybe putting on some Betadine povidone iodine afterward.
Thanks, I will do that. Can’t hurt to keep soaking.

Back
Top Bottom