1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is this a rooster? 24week old

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by savilcr, Jul 26, 2011.

1. savilcr

savilcr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2011
    Georgia
    So I bought these chicks Feb 25. at one day old, the two leghorns I have seem to not be nearly as big as the buffs, black sex link, or RIR. However they both have huge combs, could they be roosters? I don’t think they are but how often does mcmurray hatchery miss on guessing the sex of baby chicks?

[​IMG]

2. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    can you get a couple more shots, side view etc...I don't see saddle feathers on the rear, better pic will help

3. Chad the Chicken Man

Chad the Chicken Man Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2009
    Belleville, WI
    To me it looks like a hen. leghorns, rooster and hens, both have huge combs and wattles. nice looking bird though. I have a couple brown leghorns.

4. andrea98

andrea98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    in my barnyard....ohio
    Lol it looks like a sea gull with s red rubber glove on it's head [​IMG]

5. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    Quote:[​IMG]

6. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    Looks like a hen, leghorn hens have those huge floppy combs. She looks a bit pale. Is she laying yet? Also, leghorns won't be as big - they are skinnier chickens by design.

Here is one of my year old hens.
    [​IMG]

7. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Looks like a hen to me! As far as McMurrays sexing accuracy.....I ordered 17 Cochins from them in the spring (4 of them were straight run blues). At this point, they're 13 or 14 weeks old, I don't think I have a single rooster. Of course that would be my luck, I was really hoping for at least 1. Anyone in the central Va area have a blue or splash LF Cochin rooster they need to rehome?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by