Is this a rooster or a pullet?

This comb reminds me allot of Peep and this is a actual MALE Ameraucana. Hence why I already think Peep is a he.

That's a dark color for such a young chick. I'm thinking it's a cockerel.
it looked like a chipmunk went i got it the other 2 were more blonde in fuzz compared to Peep, Peep was really dark, and now looking at them I can tell 2 are alike in features and Peep stands out like a sore thumb with that color comb and bumps.

Yes peep is a Ameraucana, I call them Easter Eggers personally because one of my full grown hens lays a greenish egg compared to the normal blue egg.

Sadly I just called the place I bought them all from and they dont take back roosters.

They also told me to google the difference's because I dont know the difference either. All she told me is that if it is a rooster it will be significantly larger then the females, and will start to crow in 6 months.

So I am googling to try and find out more information but Google doesn't know allot about chickens.....

If you are wanting to get rid of cockerels you might want to try Craigslist or put it in the free re-homing thread.

I think i'm going to wait to see if Peep is truly a rooster (even though I think it already is) if so I might talk to my neighbor and see if she wants it for her hens as she lost her bantam to a predator, or eat the dang thing....

I still see the same Roosters advertised on CL in my parts an the price drops. I only have space for hens, I dont need a rooster yet.

THIS is still confusing.

Now I am wondering if the only way to sex Ameraucanas IS by the shape and size of the comb. I mean its feet are the same size, body size is the same as of right now. Doesnt have a attitude, isnt pushy or "heards" them in any way. Just makes me wonder even more.. I am stumped.

The behavior and size difference may change as he grows older, and also when it gets older it will start getting pointy saddle and hackle feathers.

he.gif

Craigslist doesnt really sell male Ameraucanas, I still see the silver one up.

its going to be fun watching it grow up. I just might give it to my neighbor, either that or just make plans to sell him.

I will take update pictures as thing start changing more.

Back
Top Bottom