Is this a rooster or a pullet?

Jenneh85

Songster
8 Years
Jun 12, 2015
Phoenix
The comb on this chick doesnt look anything like the other 3 with it, and doesnt remind me of the other 2 full grown ameraucana chickens I hand raised.

Some help would be awesome.

It's kind of hard at this age to tell if they are a pullet or a cockerel, but I think the bumps you are seeing on it's comb is just the type of comb that it has. That being said, compared to the other chicks, Peep's comb looks to be redder.

Is this always a AUTOMATIC PROOF of a cockerel with all breeds, or just EE, Ameraucanas?
For pea combed breeds, three clearly developed rows, early on, almost always means cockerel. It's not 100% though. The thing about your little one is that the comb doesn't just have three rows, but it is also starting to pink up. As young as that chick is, to already be turning pink in the comb means that it's 100% a cockerel.
Pullets do not start to turn pink in the comb until they are getting close to laying eggs.

Last edited:
Peep starting turning pink in the comb about I want to say a week to two weeks ago.

I had lost a chicken some how and dont know how she died, so I bought another one about a 1 1/2 younger then the other 3.

Now since I was looking at Peeps comb being pink and having 3 rows, I picked up Little Ninja right now and the comb isnt pink but there are three rows in the comb compared to the straight one the 2 females have.

So now I have another roo????
Time will tell. If Ninja develops a bright pink comb before 10 weeks old, it would be safe to say that it's a cockerel as well.

A rooster mating hens will not make them go broody. That is determined by genetics and hormones. Some hens are naturally very broody, some will never go broody, regardless of whether there is a rooster in the flock or not.

Back
Top Bottom