Is this a rooster or a pullet?

Sad part is my Little Ninja looks like it has a triple rowed comb but its not as bulbous as Peeps and isnt red, its allot younger then Peep.

I read online that Darker chicks are always cockerels, is this true?? Little Ninja loves being held and fell asleep with I rolled it over onto its back.

I really really dont need 2 cockerels...
he.gif

Is this always a AUTOMATIC PROOF of a cockerel with all breeds, or just EE, Ameraucanas?
For pea combed breeds, three clearly developed rows, early on, almost always means cockerel. It's not 100% though. The thing about your little one is that the comb doesn't just have three rows, but it is also starting to pink up. As young as that chick is, to already be turning pink in the comb means that it's 100% a cockerel.
Pullets do not start to turn pink in the comb until they are getting close to laying eggs.

Last edited:
For pea combed breeds, three clearly developed rows, early on, almost always means cockerel. It's not 100% though. The thing about your little one is that the comb doesn't just have three rows, but it is also starting to pink up. As young as that chick is, to already be turning pink in the comb means that it's 100% a cockerel.
Pullets do not start to turn pink in the comb until they are getting close to laying eggs.
Peep starting turning pink in the comb about I want to say a week to two weeks ago.

I had lost a chicken some how and dont know how she died, so I bought another one about a 1 1/2 younger then the other 3.

Now since I was looking at Peeps comb being pink and having 3 rows, I picked up Little Ninja right now and the comb isnt pink but there are three rows in the comb compared to the straight one the 2 females have.

So now I have another roo????

Peep starting turning pink in the comb about I want to say a week to two weeks ago.

I had lost a chicken some how and dont know how she died, so I bought another one about a 1 1/2 younger then the other 3.

Now since I was looking at Peeps comb being pink and having 3 rows, I picked up Little Ninja right now and the comb isnt pink but there are three rows in the comb compared to the straight one the 2 females have.

So now I have another roo????
Time will tell. If Ninja develops a bright pink comb before 10 weeks old, it would be safe to say that it's a cockerel as well.

Well, I found a home
bow.gif
For Mr.Peep now, My neighbor will take him once he has his semi-adult feathers, Now its just Little Ninja. I truly wanted a darker EE/Ameraucanas but it seems when you go dark you get cockerels.....

This was a lesson I was NOT expecting LoL but I guess you go through this when you buy chicks from a feed store and the guarantee isnt 100%.

I know what to look for now when it comes to EE combs.

I think this would be my final question.

How long before a cockerel is in breeding condition?

I dont want fertilized eggies.

Well, I found a home
bow.gif
For Mr.Peep now, My neighbor will take him once he has his semi-adult feathers, Now its just Little Ninja. I truly wanted a darker EE/Ameraucanas but it seems when you go dark you get cockerels.....

This was a lesson I was NOT expecting LoL but I guess you go through this when you buy chicks from a feed store and the guarantee isnt 100%.

I know what to look for now when it comes to EE combs.

I think this would be my final question.

How long before a cockerel is in breeding condition?

I dont want fertilized eggies.
My main rooster was fertilizing eggs by 16 weeks old. My younger boy is 18 weeks old and still hasn't gathered the courage to try to breed the hens. It really all depends on the boy. Fertilized eggs are no different from infertile eggs, until they are incubated. An egg must be kept at a constant 100* F for at least 48 hours for development to begin. Fertile eggs do not spontaneously develop into chicks.

My main rooster was fertilizing eggs by 16 weeks old. My younger boy is 18 weeks old and still hasn't gathered the courage to try to breed the hens. It really all depends on the boy. Fertilized eggs are no different from infertile eggs, until they are incubated. An egg must be kept at a constant 100* F for at least 48 hours for development to begin. Fertile eggs do not spontaneously develop into chicks.

If mating happens to a hen, does that make a possibility of them becoming "broody"?

I didnt know about temp, and incubation. I knew chicks dont just appear LOL that would be a miracle.

Back
Top Bottom