Is this a rooster or a pullet?

A rooster mating hens will not make them go broody. That is determined by genetics and hormones. Some hens are naturally very broody, some will never go broody, regardless of whether there is a rooster in the flock or not.

A rooster mating hens will not make them go broody. That is determined by genetics and hormones. Some hens are naturally very broody, some will never go broody, regardless of whether there is a rooster in the flock or not.
Reason I asked that is because I found a hen in the nesting box preventing the others from laying in the other two boxes and they started to lay on the out side of the nesting house and on the ground in the BOG.

She hissed at me for grabbing the eggs from her, I took the faux eggs as well as I was thinking that is what is causing it, They all know where to lay now I dont think I need to keep faux eggs in there Do I???

If they are in the habit of laying in the boxes, then no, you don't need to keep those dummy eggs in there.
However, leaving eggs around does not make a hen broody.
Some hens just like to sit in the nest for a while before they lay, and they don't like being disturbed during their process. Broody hens stay on the nest day and night, only leaving for short periods of time to eat, drink, and poo.

Not at all.
Dark EE chicks does not indicate male. My experience has been the exact opposite. The darker and drab ones are more often pullets and the lighter, splashier ones are cockerels.
I didnt know that, Online it said that a chick with black feathers in front is typically always a cockerel, The one of the two dark ones turned out to be a cockerel, I will find out about little ninja once it starts to get bigger, but Peep is most definitely a cockerel, I didnt know Jack about combs turning pink on males at all or the 3 ridged pea comb, thats how I think little ninja is a cockerel because the comb has three ridges instead of one straight one going down the middle like my other two light colored ones.

I didnt think id ever get a cockerel in a batch to be frank, this is a major learning lesson for me, Im heading to the pet store I got them from to let them know what I learned, so they can go through their batch and see if there is more hidden cockerels in there, so someone else doesnt go through what I did, I was expecting 4 pullets not 2 and 2 cockerels.

Thanks so much for all the advice this was great.

I will post pictures on this thread to show his growth and to let people know what little ninja becomes.

If they are in the habit of laying in the boxes, then no, you don't need to keep those dummy eggs in there.
However, leaving eggs around does not make a hen broody.
Some hens just like to sit in the nest for a while before they lay, and they don't like being disturbed during their process. Broody hens stay on the nest day and night, only leaving for short periods of time to eat, drink, and poo.

Good to know, I had 4 eggs today out of 6 chickens, so I know id get my two blues now since she is out. She was literally blocking the two boxes by laying in the middle of the house.

made her go eat, if she goes back in she does if not i now know that she just wanted to be alone and lay on eggs for a bit, I just dont want her to become broody, I dont know if thats in orpingtons to be broody.

Are they actually stocking straight run chicks and not pullets? 50% is really bad luck.
I was checking out the EE bin at the feed store. a lady came up and let me know she had selected all the cool looking ones. I thought how disappointed she was going to be in 8 weeks...

Last edited:
goodpost.gif

I always cringe when folks post they "picked this chick because it looked different than all the others in the bin".....people, that usually means it's a rooster!

Back
Top Bottom