1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is this a rooster?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by rhruvo, Apr 4, 2016.

1. rhruvo

rhruvo New Egg

Apr 4, 2016
    Can anyone tell me if this is a rooster? We got 3 Buff Orpington chicks that are about 4-5 weeks old. We brought them all home at the same time. This one has grown much faster and has a prominent comb. These aren't the best pictures but hoping someone can clue me in. Thanks!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. FridayYet

FridayYet Innocent Bystander

Mar 3, 2011
    The Land of Enchantment
    Hi Rhruvo,

I don't know about Buff Orpingtons, but in other single-combed breeds I've owned, a big red comb showing up early means its a cockerel.

[​IMG]

3. rebrascora

rebrascora Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2014
    Consett Co.Durham. UK
    A large pink comb at that age means only one thing and there's no doubt he's a little boy.

4. turtlebird2

turtlebird2 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2016
    Penticton B.C.
    I've done a lil research about sexing young 2-3 week old chicks. I read that rooster chicks will make a real trilling type noise when they find a bug/worm. So I have dug up some worms put them with the lil guys and watch & listen. It's amazing out of the 5 babies there is 1 that runs around making that trilling sound. The other ones will run around with the worm but no chripping sounds. Anyone else ever find this to be true with rooster chicks?

5. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    That's a roo alright.

6. Jensownzoo

Jensownzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2016
    Saint Louis, MO

I've had pullet chicks do that. I just assumed they were so excited that they didn't know to sneak off to eat it instead of announcing that they had something good! :D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by