Is this a rooster?

Thanks for clearing up the x3 thing. Also, I had comets before and I hope the one in front is a pullet as the others said. I know they are easy to sex as chicks so hoping.

Hi

They are red sex links as mentioned by other posters. This is a hybrid of a red rooster over a silver based (white) hen. The pullets are red/brown and the cockerels are white with red leakage which develops as they mature particularly on their wings/shoulders. Your chickens in the photo are all female and the one with the large comb will start laying very soon if she hasn't already.

What are red sex links? Is that a kind of hybrid? I'm new to this chicken thing as I only had golden comets one before and these chicks were given to us as they were moving. Thanks for any help you can give.
Red sexlinks are crossbreeds, done for the purpose of easy and accurate sexing at hatching by the coloring of the chicks. Each hatchery has their own 'recipe' for breeding them, and has their own names for them. Golden Comets are just one 'brand name' for red sexlinks.

Red sexlinks are crossbreeds, done for the purpose of easy and accurate sexing at hatching by the coloring of the chicks. Each hatchery has their own 'recipe' for breeding them, and has their own names for them. Golden Comets are just one 'brand name' for red sexlinks.
x2

Interesting that their combs are so different for pullets. I know my BSL roosters have yellow legs but my pullet has black legs. The boys are RIR father and BR hen and have the yellow legs (I know the breeder) but my female I got from Atwood's has black legs so maybe her daddy is Jersey Giant or Black Australorps. Of course I know the mama must be barred or at least that's my understanding of sex links. She is huge compared to the Cochin/light Brahma mix the same age.

Back
Top Bottom