Is this a rooster?

Hull18

Chirping
Mar 17, 2018
Im.gonn say this one is 6 weeks old. Barred rock. I suspect this is a rooster.
20180327_142645.jpg
20180327_142627.jpg
20180327_142637.jpg

Not a barred rock. Your pictures are a bit blurry, but I believe it's a barnevelder. Probably rooster with that comb. It should turn more pink in the next week or two if it is and the chest will get darker. I would say it's a rooster at this point but wait a few weeks to be sure.

Not a barred rock. Your pictures are a bit blurry, but I believe it's a barnevelder. Probably rooster with that comb. It should turn more pink in the next week or two if it is and the chest will get darker. I would say it's a rooster at this point but wait a few weeks to be sure.
I have some OE bantams that look a lot like your chicken. They're 5 wks. old. I can tell the roosters from the pullets by looking for the waddles. One of mine has no comb yet, but the red waddles are very prominent. I could be wrong on this, and it might just be the breed I have. I guess time will tell you and me.

I'll
try to get a better pucturi

20180327_150343.jpg
20180327_150334.jpg
20180327_150310.jpg

This was the best I could get right now. I was wrong about the bread and I will look into those the only other breed I thought I had at this age was a brown leghorn

It could well be a little cockerel. What does it look like compared to your other chickens that age? That's one thing to look for. Not a guaranteed way to find out, but maybe a place to start. As it gets older, look for pointed hackle feathers (at the bottom of the neck) and saddle feathers (on the back, toward the tail). The tail feathers are also a good give away.

It could well be a little cockerel. What does it look like compared to your other chickens that age? That's one thing to look for. Not a guaranteed way to find out, but maybe a place to start. As it gets older, look for pointed hackle feathers (at the bottom of the neck) and saddle feathers (on the back, toward the tail). The tail feathers are also a good give away.
Those don't show up until 4-6 months of age. By than he should know by the coloration that it's a rooster as they are darker than the laced hens.

Back
Top Bottom