Is this a Ruptured Air Sac?

katelwil

Songster
Apr 16, 2021
I believe this is a ruptured air sac but wanted to confirm. Never seen it first hand.

It's been like this for maybe a week or longer? I thought it was just a full crop until today when I spread the feathers back.
20210731_202522.jpg
20210731_202452.jpg
20210731_202552.jpg

Can you remove food/water at night and see if the lump reduces overnight?

Is the chick having difficulty breathing?
Yeah I can definitely remove the food tonight and see how it looks in the morning!

Thankfully no respiratory issues but I'm keeping an eye out for any that might develop.

Let us know how it goes!
So, after taking out the food overnight all 3 of my other chicks have empty crops. The fourths crop has seemed to shrink, but it's as if there is still a big lump of something. It's not hard it's squishy. Which is why I originally thought it could be a ruptured air sac. Is there a chance it could be pendulous crop? Does that occur in young chicks?
20210803_082237.jpg
20210803_082324.jpg
20210803_082335.jpg

Hello again :) Unfortunately the crop issue has still not resolved.

I'm pretty convinced that this is pendulous crop and have been unable to clear the blockage. I could be wrong.

I have tried on two different days to withhold food to see if the crop would fully empty over night and it never does. I'd really like for the crop to fully empty in hopes that if anything I can maintain it at a smaller size. Is that a bad idea? I also don't want to starve her, but don't want her to have a big balloon to carry around.

Not really sure where to go from here but I'm willing to work with this chick, whatever the next step may be, to ensure she has a pleasant life :)

Any more insight or suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thank you for all the help you've provided me on this!

Back
Top Bottom