Is this a sign of Coccidiosis?

Lokale90

Chirping
Apr 18, 2020
Not sure which of my chickens pooped but I noticed blood in it. Is this a sign they have Coccidiosis? What is the best way to treat my flock? I’ve got 21 chickens & assume I’ll need to treat them all.

Attachments

• CF3C8257-F761-4D32-80FC-52182D5AD33E.jpeg
    CF3C8257-F761-4D32-80FC-52182D5AD33E.jpeg
    783 KB · Views: 21
That is a sign of coccidiosis or possibly worms. For coccidiosis you can try Corid in their drinking water. Stand back and watch all of them. I bet if you do this you will see one that looks a little off (by itself, fluffed, or sleeping standing).

They range in age from my oldest hens turning a year in 2 weeks - 9 months in my larger coop/run area & then I have 3 that are 2 1/2 months. The younger ones are kept in a separate coop/run but it does open up to the bigger run if I wanted it to.
Some of my girls have paler combs than usual lately & feather loss but I assumed it was from the misters that turn one part of the run into a muddy mess since these problems with the feathers & combs didnt start happening until after we got the misters. Could be totally unrelated to the bloody poop but thought it was worth mentioning.
How old are the birds?

Attachments

• 71768DE5-C96B-40F3-9E27-05371FFB4896.jpeg
    71768DE5-C96B-40F3-9E27-05371FFB4896.jpeg
    492.1 KB · Views: 11
  • 76CEA49B-FBCD-4502-BFC6-E17C0AD568F4.jpeg
    76CEA49B-FBCD-4502-BFC6-E17C0AD568F4.jpeg
    909.8 KB · Views: 8
It's probably Coccidiosis then since you mentioned mud.

Do you use run litter? Like leaves, pine needles, twigs, bark, wood chips, or a mix?

Pale combs, & wattles are a symptom of Anaemia, which is caused by Coccidiosis. Had a couple of Porcelain D'uccles who had Coccidiosis really bad.

They range in age from my oldest hens turning a year in 2 weeks - 9 months in my larger coop/run area & then I have 3 that are 2 1/2 months. The younger ones are kept in a separate coop/run but it does open up to the bigger run if I wanted it to.
Some of my girls have paler combs than usual lately & feather loss but I assumed it was from the misters that turn one part of the run into a muddy mess since these problems with the feathers & combs didnt start happening until after we got the misters. Could be totally unrelated to the bloody poop but thought it was worth mentioning.
It's probably Coccidiosis then since you mentioned mud.

Do you use run litter? Like leaves, pine needles, twigs, bark, wood chips, or a mix?
So, usually I use ground coffee. It was really easy to keep clean & conditions seemed better. I live lakefront so everywhere else other than the coop is rocky med/coarse sand. I haven’t been able to get the coffee anywhere near me for a probably 2 months so I had to go back to using shavings until I find another alternative. The shavings were difficult to keep clean so I switched to the pine pellets hoping that would be easier to keep clean, but I’m still not very happy with it either. Can the bedding cause it? Or is mud a culprit? I don’t really know much about Coccidiosis other than bloody poop being a sign & you don’t want your flock to get it. What is the best way to treat it?

Not sure if it’s relevant but they do have logs in their run to perch on but they’ve had them in their run since they first went outside. They used to be in a different run but I needed to expand & keep them in a run actually connected to their coop. I really feel like We never had any issues up until the misters.

That is a sign of coccidiosis or possibly worms. For coccidiosis you can try Corid in their drinking water. Stand back and watch all of them. I bet if you do this you will see one that looks a little off (by itself, fluffed, or sleeping standing).
Is this the corid I need?

Attachments

• 05F7D0DC-ACAA-4DB7-B811-FAB69E740189.png
    05F7D0DC-ACAA-4DB7-B811-FAB69E740189.png
    518.3 KB · Views: 8
So, usually I use ground coffee. It was really easy to keep clean & conditions seemed better. I live lakefront so everywhere else other than the coop is rocky med/coarse sand. I haven’t been able to get the coffee anywhere near me for a probably 2 months so I had to go back to using shavings until I find another alternative. The shavings were difficult to keep clean so I switched to the pine pellets hoping that would be easier to keep clean, but I’m still not very happy with it either. Can the bedding cause it? Or is mud a culprit? I don’t really know much about Coccidiosis other than bloody poop being a sign & you don’t want your flock to get it. What is the best way to treat it?

Not sure if it’s relevant but they do have logs in their run to perch on but they’ve had them in their run since they first went outside. They used to be in a different run but I needed to expand & keep them in a run actually connected to their coop. I really feel like We never had any issues up until the misters.
Warm wet/muddy soil are a breeding ground for Coccidiosis to thrive in.(I have chicks that catch it from dry soil, so it doesn't always have to be wet)

The Deep Litter method doesn't need a routine cleaning. It decomposes on it's own, & all you have to do is add a new layer after awhile.

Corid is the best way to treat it. The other drugs, I don't know much about.

Back
Top Bottom