Is this a sign she may lay soon?

Yesterday I decided to make some changes to the inside of the coop. I had the roost at the same level as the nests, so I raised the roost higher, and also brought the nests up a few feet as well. So now the nests are lower than the roosts, but up off the floor. Well after getting the first egg yesterday, I had really hoped for an egg this morning. No eggs when I let them out of the run. A few minutes later I hear a noise, go outside, and two have jumped the fence and are in the side yard. So I get them back inside and head out to the feed store for some hay.
I come back home and check on the girls.

Bella is no where to be seen. This is Bella.
4161957490_f429ed5a36_o.jpg

So I start looking over all the fences. I ask my neighbor to help look. I figure she either got out, got taken by a hawk, or is off hiding somewhere to lay an egg. Whenever any girls get out, they make a lot of noise letting me know they cant get back to other girls. So I figure she is not just over a fence, I would hear her. So then I think, maybe a hawk did get her. But I see no loose feathers, no sign of a struggle. I walk the entire back yard.
I check one place I know she could hide in the yard.
4215750627_e0cf82973b_o.jpg

But I don't see here. So I am about to give up, figuring she is gone. Then I hear a noise, and I look to see her coming out from under the plywood in the picture above. So I take a closer look and this is what I see.
4216522114_4b19c59cd1_o.jpg

4215750737_a934fec965_o.jpg

Two eggs in two days. I can't be sure she laid the first one yesterday. It could have been the other EE. But this is the first egg I got to eat.

What a great treat.

Bella has kept up her laying. She has laid 3 eggs in 3 days. Now I hope the other girls take note and get with the program.

YEAH!!! I am so happy for you! We have a really late bloomer still waiting to lay her first but today we found a mystery egg and we have 5 pullets two glw hatched 5/15 (one is laying regularly now and We have 2 slw hatched 5/15 could have been any of the slacking non layers and our last is a Barred Rock she was first to lay an egg and has layed an egg everyday so far!

Loved the pictures too!

Marissa the Swim chick!

Bella laid 3 eggs in three straight days. Yesterday she took the day off. And early this morning she gave her fourth egg. The fourth egg is so much bigger than the first 3 she laid.

Left egg is hers from 2 days ago, egg #3, Middle egg is hers from today, egg #4, and the Right egg is a store bought large.
4225309669_ed7c150131_o.jpg

Todays egg next to the store bought.
4226078170_8b6a56b7eb_o.jpg

The egg today was waiting for me on the ground in the run because I slept in to late. The girls fly out a small window in the morning and can't get back in until I open up the coop door for them. So I am assuming this egg comes from Bella. I have one other EE named Dora, but she has not laid yet. I am just shocked out how much bigger this egg is. Is it normal for the eggs to get that much bigger when a hen just starts to lay?

Quote:
Thank you and I'll try.

Today Bella laid again, in her hiding spot by the fence. This egg was much smaller than yesterdays. It was the same size as the first three she laid. Does anyone know if it is normal for an egg to be bigger after a missed day of laying. I have not opened the egg yet, so maybe it is a double yoker?

Last edited:
Our second egg was a double yolker and much bigger than the first. After that she went back to laying the smaller ones. The double yolker was as big as a grocery store large egg but the rest are more of a medium size.

Back
Top Bottom