Is this a Splash Marans?

Alice EG

Songster
12 Years
Aug 29, 2009
Long Island
I'm still very much a newbie when it comes to chicken colors, but I'm trying to learn. The chick is 6 weeks old. He/she came from a place that had both Black Copper and Blue Copper Marans. I don't know much about genetics, but I think splash can come from blues? Correct me if I'm wrong.

40180_100_0803.jpg

I know he/she is a bit dirty, so it's hard to see, but there are a few reddish feathers starting to grow in on either wing(there's only one tiny one visible, toward the center of the photo). Is that normal with this coloring? I thought splash was just white and black/grey.
40180_100_0806.jpg

The feet. The fuzziness lets me know it is a marans, since that's the only feather-legged breed at the place I bought the chicks from.
40180_100_0807.jpg

Yes, I believe thats a french splash copper marans.... The red is the copper in splash copper.

I'm not sure on sex... the comb is awfully large and pink. I'd lean toward roo... but I'd think the copper would be more prominent by now, but I've never raised this variety/color. Do you have hatch mates to compare?

HI,
I have blue copper marans and she looks like a lovley splash marans to me
smile.png

Yes.with blues you can gat black, blue or spash.......
I love them

The red in the wing is the color bleeding through.not desirable but it may go away.
Had to cull my beautiful splash 1/2 english Orpington roo for this problem.he had quite a bit bleed through.
French simply means feathered legs............

Back
Top Bottom