Is this a suitable home made feed?

farmgurl123

In the Brooder
May 14, 2016
Im wanting to make a feed for my chicks(5 weeks now) I spend a lot of time with the little flock and they seem to love my homemade concoctions, it helps them trust me. Is there anything in this list that I should NOT feed? Cooked buckwheat groats(not too many as I've read it can make them light sensitive), cooked egg, chia seeds, psyllium seed, flax seed, quinoa seed,cooked carrot, watermelon, garden lettuce, sour creamm, flavoured yogurt( concerned about this one-I have a lot of it and the humans hate it) bits of banana,cooked lentils, and i have an enormous amount of shreddies, regular and banana bread flavoured that my humans hate , can the chicks eat them also?

Its great you are making them homemade feed, however the only thing I would worry about it unless you are a nutritionist who knows exactly what you are doing in order to balance all nutrient ratios, especially calcium and phosphorus, you run the risk of nutritional imbalances which could potentially greatly impact their health. Why not buy a commercial poultry feed (I recommend the higher quality brands), and give them your homemade feed as an occasional treat now and then, or an added topping? As far as ingredients go, as long as it is not on this list of toxic plants, you are okay - http://www.chickendvm.com/toxic.php

they have free access on the commercial feed also.. and yes there is no toxic foods in it.

I would avoid the flavored yogurt if it has anything in it (like artificial sweeteners) that’s not yogurt and fruit. Also, what are shreddies?

I feed them their later feed but they love their clover when they are out in the lawn but I give them lettuce and watermelon and all that kind of stuff. It always goes back to their main diet is still the feed. It balances them for sure.

Back
Top Bottom