Is this a tumor or some type of disease?

eeew! not sure if i can do it, what do i open it up with? i don't really have anything but maybe a razor, is that too extreme? or just a needle/pin or something?
also thanks for adding your advice, did you see the earlier pics of the hen in question?

I would use a razor or scalpel and lance it. It almost looks like a lump jaw cow. I would guess that she got a sliver, sticker, a small piece of glass, wire...or something that she picked up that is trying to exit through the skin. The anitbiotics will help too but getting the infection out will help it go much smoother.

I would use a razor or scalpel and lance it. It almost looks like a lump jaw cow. I would guess that she got a sliver, sticker, a small piece of glass, wire...or something that she picked up that is trying to exit through the skin. The anitbiotics will help too but getting the infection out will help it go much smoother.
X2. Warning, it will probably bleed a lot, but be brave and get busy. Be sure to take lots of pictures as it might help someone, someday. I actually have two at the feed store that have to be do (no one else will), but theirs are in the sinus around the eye.

eeew! not sure if i can do it, what do i open it up with? i don't really have anything but maybe a razor, is that too extreme? or just a needle/pin or something?
Needle is too small, I've tried, lol, just slice it with a razor. Have you ever had a cat or dog with an abscess? Same thing, just different type of pus.

I agree. I haven't treated a jaw injury, but I did have a chicken with infection/pus on her foot. It was a puncture wound that swelled up huge, and was infected. It looked like she was walking around on a large grape, and looked painful. We think she stepped on a wire or splinter or something? Anyways, whatever it was went all the way through her foot. Lance and tweezers worked the best. Yes, it was pretty gross, but it needed to be done. DH held her for me, and I cleaned it up as best as I could and got the infection out, it was quite obvious what was "chicken pus" and what was foot flesh. Then I put antibiotic cream on it and wrapped it. It took about 2 weeks for it to fully heal, and now you would never know she had the injury.

She may not want to be separated from the flock, but it will probably be the best thing. Once you've cleaned the absess as best you can, she will need time to heal away from the other kiddos. They will likely pick at her injury.

If you can, taking pictures would be nice so others can learn from it. I wish I had taken some pictures of our girl's puncture foot injury but I didn't.

I hope everything goes well for her & you!

I agree. I haven't treated a jaw injury, but I did have a chicken with infection/pus on her foot. It was a puncture wound that swelled up huge, and was infected. It looked like she was walking around on a large grape, and looked painful. We think she stepped on a wire or splinter or something? Anyways, whatever it was went all the way through her foot. Lance and tweezers worked the best. Yes, it was pretty gross, but it needed to be done. DH held her for me, and I cleaned it up as best as I could and got the infection out, it was quite obvious what was "chicken pus" and what was foot flesh. Then I put antibiotic cream on it and wrapped it. It took about 2 weeks for it to fully heal, and now you would never know she had the injury.

She may not want to be separated from the flock, but it will probably be the best thing. Once you've cleaned the absess as best you can, she will need time to heal away from the other kiddos. They will likely pick at her injury.

If you can, taking pictures would be nice so others can learn from it. I wish I had taken some pictures of our girl's puncture foot injury but I didn't.

I hope everything goes well for her & you!
yeah, i guess i could bring her into the garage or something in a pen or just fashion a temporary ICU in the storage portion of my coop, i have my chick feeders and stuff so i could use those. i will try and be brave, but i may faint, i will have my daughter hold her for me do you think i could try hypnotizing her before i cut or would it not matter? my daughter has become quite the chicken hypnotherapist in the past few days!

Needle is too small, I've tried, lol, just slice it with a razor. Have you ever had a cat or dog with an abscess? Same thing, just different type of pus.
i usually took them to the vet, but luckily have not had any injuries on my pets recently enough, i used to be real good at this stuff, but now i just don;t have the nerve.

that wasn't so bad, go a little queazy but not too bad! is that what i can expect you think of this lump?
should i use peroxide, iodine or just salt water to cleanse the wound after i see what i can get out of it? and do you really think gloves are necessary, i can get some if need be. (i haven't quite set up a first aid station for my girls yet) Also do you think she will feel it or freak out when i cut it? should i prepare for flight?

Back
Top Bottom