Is this a Walnut comb?

HorseGirlAbby

SUMMER, JUST LEAVE NOW
Project Manager
Premium Feather Member
May 14, 2021
Eastern WA
So, this is supposedly a purebred Columbian Wyandotte hen. Her comb is obviously not a rose comb, but what is it? I have some chicks with walnut combs, and hers looks similar.
IMG_7888.JPG

Thanks!

Honestly, I don't know. How old is she and where did you get her? I wouldn't breed her if I was working on that breed and variety, but that's just me. I'm not great at comb types

So, this is supposedly a purebred Columbian Wyandotte hen. Her comb is obviously not a rose comb, but what is it?

I think it is a rose comb.

https://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGP/Wyand/BRKWyand.html
Feathersite has lots of pictures of Wyandottes, and some have combs with little bumps all over, while others have smooth combs. Many of them look like the same general shape as the comb your hen has, while some others have points at the back or are raised and larger.

Looks like a rose comb to me. Combs change as a bird gets older, some rose combs have ridges or a point in the back but just because it doesn't mean it's not a rose comb. How old is she? You can see her better, what makes you think it's not a rose comb? What's the back look like?

Sorry I didn't reply sooner!! She's four years old, and her comb has always looked like this. I just didn't think it was a rose comb because my other Wyandotte's combs look different, more bumpy. Here are a few more pictures of her! (Sitting in boxes is one of her favorite pastimes.)
IMG_2376.JPG

IMG_2363.JPG

Back
Top Bottom