Is this a Welsummer and a Dominique?

kellykate

Songster
14 Years
Feb 26, 2009
Yarmouth, Maine
Ok I am thinking I have a Welsummer and a Dominique --but not positive! These came from MPC's assorted standards. Thanks
smile.png

Options for this little lady are: Welsummer, Speckled Sussex or Brown Leghorn. I'm leaning toward Welsummer but again --not sure! Would love any help!
23763_dscn2211.jpg

23763_dscn2214.jpg

23763_dscn2217.jpg

And I think this is a Dom right? Because it has what appears to be a pea comb vs. the Barred Rock's single comb? Not sure?
23763_dscn2220.jpg

23763_dscn2219.jpg

if you cant really tell from the comb of number two you should be able to tell for certain when she starts to feather out...a BR's pattern is more linear, while a DOM's pattern is more"checkerboard" and sporadic........then again that could just me my 4 birds though ( 2 BR 5 week old and 2 DOM 1 yr)

The Welsummer chick is too young....have to wait awhile for the development of the earlobes. If they are white, they are Leghorns, if not, they are Welsummers. And the Leghorn combs will flop over when they get matured.

Quote:
Most if not all hatchery Barred Rocks have the Cuckoo pattern just like a Dominique...

The bird in question is a Dominique... (It has a Rose Comb)

Chris

Yippee Doms are one of my favs - so I had my fingers crossed I was reading all the clues right! And I like the way SS look so that would be great too --I would also love the Welsummer's darker eggs and even the Brown Leghorn would be fine --lots of white eggs who could complain- so I guess I can't go wrong with any of the options! Thanks so much for all your help!
wink.png

On that first one...if it is a Speckled Sussex, when it starts to feather out, you will see white feathers on it's chest. I have some that are about 5wks right now and I thought it was the weirdest thing to be such a dark chick but grow white feathers. Just a bit of help. Good luck with your babies
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom