Is this a Wyandotte?

AMaxlow

In the Brooder
Jul 30, 2023
We bought 2 chicks at a livestock swap a week ago that were labeled as Splash Wyandottes. I have no doubt about 1 of them, but the other has me scratching my head (the one that's more gold). It doesn't look like the other one or like other Wyandotte chicks I've seen. The chicks were in a bin with Easter Eggers, so I can't help thinking I accidentally got an EE. The lady selling them said she keeps her breeders separated by breed, so it shouldn't be mixed.
I'm also unsure about their age. She said they're 2 - 2.5 months, but that can't possibly be right. They're too small to be that old, barely have any comb growth, and still have a bit of baby fuzz on their heads. I'm assuming she meant weeks, which would make them between 3 and 4 weeks in these photos. Does that seem right?
And based on what I've learned about Wyandottes, it's too soon to determine gender. But... my husband is convinced that the more blue one is a pullet and the gold one is a cockerel. What do you all think?

20230729_184332.jpg

20230729_184524.jpg

20230729_184530.jpg

Thank you everyone for your responses! Very helpful! I can't say I'm not a little disappointed. We already have 2 EE's and we wanted to add more variety to our little flock. And I secretly wanted a little roo so we could let our broody olive egger raise chicks eventually. Oh well. That just means we'll have to "accidentally" get more chickens someday. My husband thinks we have enough, but he's not very good at "chicken math". 😁

Thank you everyone for your responses! Very helpful! I can't say I'm not a little disappointed. We already have 2 EE's and we wanted to add more variety to our little flock. And I secretly wanted a little roo so we could let our broody olive egger raise chicks eventually. Oh well. That just means we'll have to "accidentally" get more chickens someday. My husband thinks we have enough, but he's not very good at "chicken math". 😁
More is always less. That’s how chicken math works!

Back
Top Bottom