Is this actually pied, or something else?

Canadian Wind

Duck Crazy Canuck
Premium Feather Member
Jul 25, 2022
Eastern Ontario
My Coop
My Coop
The older my blue pied drake, Cloud, gets, the less I'm thinking he's pied. These markings just don't fit. The feathers are two-toned, with a wide edge in blue, and the inside being white. And it's limited to his wings.

Today, I caught Cloud being very relaxed, sitting with his wings partially dropped at his sides. It was the perfect position to snap a few pics of him and showing off these markings.

I've looked at Al's Quackery and the Muscovy Duck Dynasty sites, and don't see anything similar.

20220815_120658.jpg

20220815_120706.jpg

20220815_120716.jpg

I really hope he doesn't moult out of this. He is so gorgeous!

he is beautiful. I love all the colors Muscovy come in I have just never been one to dive into the color genetics. But that is one gorgeous drake. Actually the one next to him is beautiful too.
Thank you!

Genetics have always fascinated me, and I used to breed lovebirds specifically for certain colours. I'd say it keeps me out of trouble, but... My little flock of four Muscovy is now 17, and none of those were hatched here! :lau

The pretty boy next to Cloud is his brother, Stew. I need to find him a different name, since I decided to keep him after all. I love his Magpie pattern. Their sister is also a black pied, but she doesn't have the nice tidy look Stew does. Hoping the odd feather on his chest moult out.

Your gorgeous Cloud is perhaps a barred muscovy

I have a chocolate barred and he lost the barring on his wings and chest in his adult plummage. His barring is only visible on his belly and undercarriage.

With barred muscovy, the barring is often pronounced in adolescence and then lost in the adult plummage, when the barring seen only under the wings and low down underneath

Your gorgeous Cloud is perhaps a barred muscovy

I have a chocolate barred and he lost the barring on his wings and chest in his adult plummage. His barring is only visible on his belly and undercarriage.

With barred muscovy, the barring is often pronounced in adolescence and then lost in the adult plummage, when the barring seen only under the wings and low down underneath
Unfortunately, he's not. He was gray as a duckling, not the yellow-with-coloured-tail of a barred. Let me find a pic of him when he was younger. rummages through the hundred of pics taken over the last few months

20220623_163124.jpg

He's one of the two grays, probably the bottom one. He was just a touch lighter than his brother. About four weeks old. BTW, the yellow on is a black barred. And not related.

20220706_195840.jpg

Two weeks later. Cloud is on the left, you can see his head is paler, with his brother Mist on the right. Sorry about my foot.

20220708_154235.jpg

Couple of days after, Cloud is the top one, next to his step-mom. You can see a bit more difference in tone between him and his brother, although Mist had obviously just been playing in the water, even sporting a little mohawk! :D

20220719_202907.jpg

Eleven days later, you can see the white coming in on those feathers. His brother's were a solid blue.

20220725_141643.jpg

And this is six days after that. By comparison, that's my black barred next to him. She's about a week younger.

Back
Top Bottom