Is this an Ameracana ?

Estes birds are not true Aeraucanas - per their own website - so to answer your question she is not an Ameraucana, but rather an Easter Egger which explains the differences you are seeing in appearance as they are cross/mixed breed birds so the individual birds will express different characteristics of the base breeds.
Quote:

Last edited:
yeah, I was kinda thinking maybe shes just an "underbred" ameraucana ? :/

There's no such thing. Per the Ameraucana Breeder's Association, if the bird doesn't meet the basics of the Standard of Perfection, it's not an Ameraucana even if it's parents were both purebred Ameracaunas. The bird would be an Easter Egger.

Looks to me as if Estes are selling Easter Eggers under the Ameraucana name, just like most major hatcheries. At least they are honest in the fine print, if not in the name of the bird. And the fact that they say the birds can lay a variety of colors of eggs is real proof that these birds are not Ameraucanas. Ameraucanas ONLY lay blue eggs.

Last edited:
There's no such thing. Per the Ameraucana Breeder's Association, if the bird doesn't meet the basics of the Standard of Perfection, it's not an Ameraucana even if it's parents were both purebred Ameracaunas. The bird would be an Easter Egger.

Looks to me as if Estes are selling Easter Eggers under the Ameraucana name, just like most major hatcheries. At least they are honest in the fine print, if not in the name of the bird. And the fact that they say the birds can lay a variety of colors of eggs is real proof that these birds are not Ameraucanas. Ameraucanas ONLY lay blue eggs.

X2. I just was doing research and "walkingonsunshine" is right that there is no such thing as a underbred ameracana. EE come in all colors an lay either green or blue eggs. They truly are an unique breed!!

X2. I just was doing research and "walkingonsunshine" is right that there is no such thing as a underbred ameracana. EE come in all colors an lay either green or blue eggs. They truly are an unique breed!!

Or brown, cream or even pinkish

Well, just to be truly clear because there is so much misinformation out there...

Easter Eggers are not a "breed." They are a mixed breed--mutt--with a fancy name, like a Puggle dog.

Also, the definition of Easter Eggers is a bird that carries the blue egg gene but does not meet the SOP of any other breed. That means that if a bird lays a brown, cream, or pinkish egg it's just a mutt, not an Easter Egger. An Easter Egger will lay a green or blue egg because of the presence of the blue egg gene.

Well, just to be truly clear because there is so much misinformation out there...

Easter Eggers are not a "breed." They are a mixed breed--mutt--with a fancy name, like a Puggle dog.

Also, the definition of Easter Eggers is a bird that carries the blue egg gene but does not meet the SOP of any other breed. That means that if a bird lays a brown, cream, or pinkish egg it's just a mutt, not an Easter Egger. An Easter Egger will lay a green or blue egg because of the presence of the blue egg gene.

X2

you guys are good on your info!!!!! :) thanks so much for the input! shes a great little chick either way, just didn't know if got in the wrong assortment or was just different looking from the rest? "under bred" was a word I just threw out there in that she dosnt have fluffy cheeks and a couple other traits the others have. "mutts" are the best animal kinds :) cant wait to see her egg color one day! Thanks for the help everyone.

Back
Top Bottom