Is this an Easter Egger?

AspenChicks

In the Brooder
Dec 2, 2016

Back in late September, one of my third graders brought this chicken to add to our class flock as a "day-old" chick. She was sold as an Ameraucana at the feed store, but from what I am reading in other threads, I am thinking she is an Easter Egger. Could someone confirm that this is an Easter Egger? Her feet and legs are greenish, if that is not clear in the picture. Now in February, as picutured, she is 18 weeks old. She has not laid an egg yet, so it is also my guess that she is indeed a pullet. Thoughts on gender are welcome as well. Thank you!

Last edited:
welcome-byc.gif

Very cute little Easter egger pullet. She doesn't look really close to laying at this point, but spring will bring good things
smile.png

Looks like an EE to me! It's true most feed stores get their birds from hatcheries. Most large hatcheries do not have show quality lines whatsoever, and their Ameraucana's are not correct to the breeds standard. They still contain the blue egg gene however, and are donned Easter eggers.

I may be wrong, but I think anything with the blue egg gene that is not to the breed standard of either an Ameraucana or Araucana, is an easter egger. In example, I crossed my EE roo with a black australorp hen, baby was a mix but ended up laying blue eggs. SO I'm guessing she was an easter egger since she had the blue egg gene? So many question I have!

Anyways, good luck with your hen she is gorgeous!! (and welcome to BYC!!)

Back
Top Bottom