Is this an emergency ?? Please help me .. ( update pictures)

chickenriot

Songster
9 Years
May 12, 2010
Brownsboro, Tx.
57288_1.jpg
57288_2.jpg

All that poop is not hers.
tongue.png
She is in the brooder with the other silkies.

Does this look normal ? I guess since she is so small her crop just looks huge to me. The other chicks' crops don't seem to take up so much space on their chests.

Please give me your feedback on what you think.

Thank you to all the kind people who share your knowledge with new "chick parents". Bless you.

Just looks like a full crop to me. Mine look that way, too, especially towards the end of the day. Sort of like half of Dolly Parton, if you know who that is.

is it like this all the time or does it go up and down?

Sorry I took so long on my reply. I was looking at the chicks and cleaning their brooders.

To me, it seems like it's full all the time. My husband felt her crop and the rest of the silkies crops and he said that they all felt the same to him. Since I removed food from her for 8 hours I would've thought her crop would've been a little flatter. It was probably flatter than in this photo because she had just eaten.

She is so tiny that I suspect she might have hatched somewhat later than the others and possibly has not developed well internally yet.

Her crop has to be working some because she is leaving droppings around. Do you think I need to separate her from the others ?

My husband was just in the room where the chicks are and he said she was lying across one of the other chicks and they were all asleep.​

Quote:
I've been watching her pretty closely over the last couple of days and it seems like everything is functioning. She has been very active . When I removed her food for 8 hours she spent her time pecking on the side of the box. My husband says there is a white dot on the box and she was trying to figure out why she couldn't eat it.
smile.png

I guess I'm going to worry anyway.
lol.png

I see signs of a very serious and incurable syndrome.
sad.png

It's called "Piggie Hog Disease" and is very common in chicks.
lol.png

Quote:
lol.png
lol.png
lol.png
I hope you're right. I've convinced myself that she has a slow crop since it didn't empty much after 8 hours of no food . Since she's so much smaller than the others her crop looks huge to me.

I just fed all the chicks some yogurt, applesauce and mashed egg yolk with a sprinkle of crumbles and she jumped right in the middle of the plate and started gobbling. Even though she's small, she's as pushy as the biggest one.

I guess I just want assurance that there's nothing going on that I need to address.

Well, better go clean some brooders and see if her crop is even bigger than before.
smile.png

Thank you

The baby chick regurgitated the contents of her crop yesterday and she looks more like the others. I've been watching her closely since that happened and she is eating and acting normal. Hopefully, this problem has been corrected.
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom