Is this an illness or injury?

Aug 7, 2019
Oahu, Hawaii
Im very new at owning chickens and this right here has me so scared! I’ve been googling & reading here and I’m not sure what to do.
This gal is part of my 3 oldest hens at 4 months old. She acts normal, I happen to pick her up last night and saw these bubbles in her left eye. I softly wiped it away before looking up what it could be. After reading I panicked. Removed her from the flock (there’s 4 others she hangs out with) locked the others in the hen house, emptied out the run & sanitized it with Clorox and water.

This morning I fed everyone in the henhouses and didn’t let them in the run. Nor did I let her in the run. I have her isolated in her own hen house.

What should I do from here...?...
D0E9A7F4-319E-4076-A44E-DCB14422C179.jpeg
DD454B6D-2AA1-4C76-B598-7363F46D68D0.jpeg
42FD8BA5-FD79-4A56-8004-92A70C75B413.jpeg
D074D570-6A67-4E67-9ABC-294BAF5C0825.jpeg
B521BAB6-3083-4CA6-8BF9-7B7E34AAB042.jpeg
A5A60DA5-73E4-441E-B4DA-514C1CB099FE.jpeg
A8F170E6-8094-44A8-A59D-07BE1C787F4C.jpeg

Do you know why the area under eye is red ? That looks more like an injury or from pecking. The bubbles and sticky drainage and swollen eye might be from that, but it also may be mycoplasma gallisepticum or MG, which is a chronic respiratory disease. The other eye has that sunken look that might be MG, but a better picture might help. Have you added any new birds to your flock recently? MG is very common in backyard flocks and can be brought in by wild birds, new birds, or it can be brought in on shoes, hands, clothing, etc. Has she been acting sick or lethargic? Have others been picking on her?

I would probably go ahead and treat her for MG with Tylan, an antibiotic that you might find at your local feed store. It comes in Tylan 50 and Tylan 200 injectable, which you can give orally after using a syringe and needle to withdraw it from the vial. Or order Tylan (tylosin) powder to add to the water here:
https://www.jedds.com/shop/tylan-soluble-100-g/
Otherwise it has to come from a vet. Dosage of the powder is 1 tsp of powder to each gallon of water, and change it every 3 days. Give it for 5 days. To mix it, you must add water to the powder, not the other way around, or it does not mix well.

Her nasal passage appears good and dry, that's good. I see the bubbling in the eye that is one of many symptoms of respiratory illness (and other problems), but the rest of her eye has me questioning that diagnosis. Is that a scrape or cut under that same eye? Either way... a good flush of the eye with saline, water, or even visine for dry eyes while protecting her nostrils and mouth from entering is a good starting point, followed by neosporin (triple antibiotic) ointment without any pain relievers in it, directly in and on the eye would be prudent for a hen suffering from respiratory illness or disease or a minor injury to her eye.
When not being held, how is her breathing sounds? Does she have rales (rasping, audible vibrations to her breathing)? What does the inside, roof of her mouth look like? Chicken pus isn't liquidy, like human pus is. Respiratory infection can cause a cheesy, pale yellow pasty stuff (chicken pus) to build up under the 'flaps' on the inside of her beak or cause the development of a 'knot' near the eye.
If her nasal passage becomes involved in this illness, it would lead me to believe it to be a respiratory infection for sure, and the worst kind... WET. Should this happen, antibiotics will become necessary; the sooner you nip a wet respiratory infection in the bud, the better! Tylan50 is often recommended for a wet respiratory infection... you can look up dosing on the BYC forums.
I'd flush and then goop up her eye with medicines as outlined above, without bandaging, then observe her for a day or two, looking for worsening or improvement to her condition. Please keep us posted, and more pictures are always welcome. Calling in some others for extra opinions and advice @Texas Kiki @aart

Do you know why the area under eye is red ? That looks more like an injury or from pecking. The bubbles and sticky drainage and swollen eye might be from that, but it also may be mycoplasma gallisepticum or MG, which is a chronic respiratory disease. The other eye has that sunken look that might be MG, but a better picture might help. Have you added any new birds to your flock recently? MG is very common in backyard flocks and can be brought in by wild birds, new birds, or it can be brought in on shoes, hands, clothing, etc. Has she been acting sick or lethargic? Have others been picking on her?

I would probably go ahead and treat her for MG with Tylan, an antibiotic that you might find at your local feed store. It comes in Tylan 50 and Tylan 200 injectable, which you can give orally after using a syringe and needle to withdraw it from the vial. Or order Tylan (tylosin) powder to add to the water here:
https://www.jedds.com/shop/tylan-soluble-100-g/
Otherwise it has to come from a vet. Dosage of the powder is 1 tsp of powder to each gallon of water, and change it every 3 days. Give it for 5 days. To mix it, you must add water to the powder, not the other way around, or it does not mix well.
Aloha!
Thank you for taking the time to reply!
She’s not lethargic at all. I haven’t seen any fighting or bullying. They’ve all been together since a few days old.
It’s still early morning here, but will go to my feed store as soon as they open. How much do I give and which one 50 or 200?
Do I keep her isolated for the 5 days? Anything specific I should do to the coop before letting the others out? I have everyone in hen houses.

Her nasal passage appears good and dry, that's good. I see the bubbling in the eye that is one of many symptoms of respiratory illness (and other problems), but the rest of her eye has me questioning that diagnosis. Is that a scrape or cut under that same eye? Either way... a good flush of the eye with saline, water, or even visine for dry eyes while protecting her nostrils and mouth from entering is a good starting point, followed by neosporin (triple antibiotic) ointment without any pain relievers in it, directly in and on the eye would be prudent for a hen suffering from respiratory illness or disease or a minor injury to her eye.
When not being held, how is her breathing sounds? Does she have rales (rasping, audible vibrations to her breathing)? What does the inside, roof of her mouth look like? Chicken pus isn't liquidy, like human pus is. Respiratory infection can cause a cheesy, pale yellow pasty stuff (chicken pus) to build up under the 'flaps' on the inside of her beak or cause the development of a 'knot' near the eye.
If her nasal passage becomes involved in this illness, it would lead me to believe it to be a respiratory infection for sure, and the worst kind... WET. Should this happen, antibiotics will become necessary; the sooner you nip a wet respiratory infection in the bud, the better! Tylan50 is often recommended for a wet respiratory infection... you can look up dosing on the BYC forums.
I'd flush and then goop up her eye with medicines as outlined above, without bandaging, then observe her for a day or two, looking for worsening or improvement to her condition. Please keep us posted, and more pictures are always welcome. Calling in some others for extra opinions and advice @Texas Kiki @aart

It looks like a cut but I’m not sure. There is always peace and harmony in the coop. I’ve never seen a fight or aggression.
I will do all that you’ve outlined on here. Thank you so much! I’ll send pics too.

Back
Top Bottom