Is this an infection?

laceynoelle

I am Batman
12 Years
Nov 12, 2009
Reno
Its affecting all my chickens from my first batch, but not the others, even though they are running together in the same area. Its not a great pic, but there are slimy bubbles coming out of his eye. The other chickens with this ailment dont have that, but they do have stuff running out of thier nose that dries and almost looks like yolk, but they arent eating eggs or anything because theyre too young to lay still. The chickens are about two or three months old. Whaat do you all think? What is it, and how do i cure it? Thanks guys.
smile.png

44410_img_0002.jpg

Last edited:
does the runny nose discharge smell?

The bubbly eyes is usually the start to respitory issues. I use vetrx on them and it seems to help.....................

Where did these birds come from Lacey?

The smell makes me wonder about Coryza - do a search here, using the BYC search link in the upper blue bar, just above your logged in name. (not the google search box) You can search this forum and be title specific or search message and title.

These birds came from ideal in the middle of feb.
smile.png

I dont think its Coryza, because Gumpsgirl had a huge post about it, and my birds arent sneezing or scratching thier heads. Also, its only in the older group of chicks (While the 1 mo. younger ones are fine) and they all run together. Its only in the banties, if that helps. And no one is dying. Its just like super runny nose. hmmm. is there a form of coryza that only does that? Give me a sec and i'll run out ant get a nose-pic.

44410_img_0003.jpg

Heres jack. his isnt as bad because i wiped some of it off about six hours ago. besides the boogies the birds arent showing any other signs.

Also, could it be genetic or something? i alread had a lot of problems with these guys when they were chicks. It was a serious fight to keep them alive, and over half died. Theyve been growing fine and acting nomal, but can this be some sort of throwback?

IDEAL
roll.png
Sorry, had problems with all their birds! Corynza will have a fowl smell. I would get sumlet and just treat them if the vetrx doesn't work. i really use antibiotics as a last means. It also seems like they just got it so it could get worse and if one eye swells up......SUMLET!!!!! for some reason corynza makes one eye swell up???? why , i do not know???

But VETRX is like menthol smelling and helps with breathing. i take a dab and push up on their pallet and it clears them out. Stuff is like 8 bucks and good to have on hand.

And if it doesn't run through their system and leave, then dose their water with sumlet. BUT.............there is a debate cause once they get it they can carry it and infect other birds so some cull ASAP BUT thats if it's corynza which is a long shot but possible.

Once a chicken has been infected with most of these respiratory diseases, they are never really "cured." Their symptoms may subside, but the minute their immune system is depressed or their stressed, symptoms can reappear and you're off to the races again. Nobody ever wants to hear the unhappy news that their bird may have a serious disease. Given what you've disclosed about the past history of your birds (i.e. "It was a serious fight to keep them alive, and over half died") it shouldn't come as a surprise to you that past problems may be rearing its ugly head again. Perhaps is would help if you read the real scientific description of Coryza symptoms (which can be relatively mild in subsequent infections).

http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.jsp?cfile=htm/bc/206600.htm

Back
Top Bottom