Is this an injury or something else?

Joe-the-Joseph

In the Brooder
Mar 18, 2022
So. California High Desert
When I checked on my chickens, this is what I found. She has had difficulty regrowing feathers since a rooster attacked her (he has been re-homed). She started molting again lately and seemed to be regrowing some feathers. This what I found today. Is this a disease? Is it molting? Or is another hen abusing her? I did not see any blood.

Attachments

• IMG_2437.JPG
    IMG_2437.JPG
    400.8 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2442.JPG
    IMG_2442.JPG
    339.2 KB · Views: 6
When I checked on my chickens, this is what I found. She has had difficulty regrowing feathers since a rooster attacked her (he has been re-homed). She started molting again lately and seemed to be regrowing some feathers. This what I found today. Is this a disease? Is it molting? Or is another hen abusing her? I did not see any blood.
She has bruising. Poor girl, the rooster must have been quite rough.

Her feathers are broken, there's intact feather follicles in the skin and there's feathers that are stripped. None of these will be replaced until she goes through a molt.

You mention she started molting again? Possibly what you were seeing was new growth where feathers had been completely plucked out. Sometimes that new growth is attractive to other birds and they pluck them out.

Observe your flock to see if other hens are plucking her, if the rooster was a nightmare, then some of the hens may have picked up on that behavior as well. Consider how much space you have and how many birds you have in that space.

BluKote won't hurt, but it's not really going to do anything to promote feather growth or deter picking. If the skin is broken, then it can help with healing wounds.

Put a saddle on her to help cover up that bare skin if you wish, but do check under the saddle daily to make sure the skin is not irritated.

You can if you want to, it won't hurt her. She could use a protein boost for a few days to help her grow in feathers, especially if she's on layer. Chickens dig yoghurt, scrambled eggs, meat. Etc

Back
Top Bottom