Deworming with safe-guard paste questions

Heni Penny

Songster
9 Years
Nov 14, 2014
Hello -

We are looking to deworm the flock when they're molting, because of the withdrawal time. But another source I checked (poultry DVM) basically said not to if they are regrowing new feathers. Can you explain what the issue is?

Also, a friend said she heard dewormers can cause reproductive problems. I haven't seen that in what I've read, what say you?

Thanks!

Hello -

We are looking to deworm the flock when they're molting, because of the withdrawal time. But another source I checked (poultry DVM) basically said not to if they are regrowing new feathers. Can you explain what the issue is?

Also, a friend said she heard dewormers can cause reproductive problems. I haven't seen that in what I've read, what say you?

Thanks!
I dont recommend worming birds with Safeguard (Fenbendazole) during molt. Feathers regrow inward, curly, every way you can imagine. I know this from personal experience years ago.
Normally I dont recommend worming birds during molt anyway due to stress that molt causes. If it's necessary to worm your birds during molt, I recommend Valbazen. Dosage for a 5lb hen is 1/2ml given orally using a syringe without a needle, then repeat in 10 days. Done.

I forgot to mention that your friend is incorrect. Worms can cause reproductive problems among many other problems.

Back
Top Bottom