Is this animal abuse?

Y'all may not be aware of this, but animal rights (and animal rights groups) are a subject to be avoided on BYC. Like cockfighting, it's just not a thing we talk about, one way or the other. If some of the above posts disappear, that will be why. It would be a good idea to move the conversation away from that subject.;)

Okay, I'm a bit confused, how is tethering (I'm assuming that's what you mean by hobbling) neglect? Were they home during the fire? It isn't their fault that the goats were penned during a fire if they weren't home to do anything.
Leaving an animal tied up all day every day is neglect if not abuse. You would never leave a horse in its stall every day all day, nor would you leave a dog in its crate or a chicken in its coop.

Okay, I'm a bit confused, how is tethering (I'm assuming that's what you mean by hobbling) neglect? Were they home during the fire? It isn't their fault that the goats were penned during a fire if they weren't home to do anything.
Tethering in itself is not so long as they have access to food throughout the day and constant access to water. Some places require access to shelter as well. If the if the tethering is done in such a way as to deny them of those things, it is abuse/neglect and dangerous for the animal depending upon the season and climate.
The fire thing is subjective depending upon was someone home to let them out, was the fire endangering the goats, etc.
In any case, the number of goats and size of enclosure is totally inadequate and likely enough to get the authorities attention once notified. Dead animals should definitely result in an onsite inspection.
But they will likely be notified of the issues and given X number of days to comply if this is the 1st offense. There are many unknown circumstances (owners with health issues, elderly, etc) that would need to be considered.
Surely, if this has been an ongoing issue, nothing will improve for these animals without the authorities being notified.

So the pen is about 13x13 = 169 square feet
That would be about 17 square feet per goat for 10 goats, or 12 square feet each for 14 goats.

That's around the minimum recommended for goats, but not absolutely awful.

Whether that's enough depends on the climate. Of course it's not enough if there's a blizzard or hurricane, but it might be fine in more normal kinds of weather.

From what you describe, it does not sound like good living conditions, but I'm not sure whether it would be bad enough to count as abuse or neglect. (Not an expert, just giving my own guess based on what you've said.)
Thanks, on paper I get what you mean, but once you see them im person, it can get really bad. The water is really dirty, they don’t get feed enough. I try to do what I can and give them a bunch of leaves now and then, and always give them the clippings of my yard debree, but It doesn’t seem enough ☹️.

That is terrible! Start recording in a pages doc what you see, the date, with pictures. Then you can have proof, (the pictures) along with everything you are recording. Poor goats! Are the dead mom and kits still sitting there?
I haven’t seen them as I am away, however they were laying on the grass outside of the pen.

Back
Top Bottom