Is this animal abuse?

One of the most neglectful things though is leaving them dead in the pen. Who knows what they dies of , disease, starvation... in any case it's neglect at least.

Depends on how long.

OP said:
Today I saw a Nanny and her kids laying dead in the yard for I don’t know how long.

If the owner was at work all day, the goats might have looked fine in the morning, died during the day, and been noticed when the owner got home.

And since it was a nanny and her kid, maybe she gave birth and something went wrong? That can easily happen in the time a person is away at work, and if they do not have the option of working from home or missing work, there's not much they can do to prevent it.

I don't know if this was neglect or not, just saying some non-neglect situations can fit the same description we've been given.

Last edited:
Depends on how long.

OP said:

If the owner was at work all day, the goats might have looked fine in the morning, died during the day, and been noticed when the owner got home.

And since it was a nanny and her kid, maybe she gave birth and something went wrong? That can easily happen in the time a person is away at work, and if they do not have the option of working from home or missing work, there's not much they can do to prevent it.

I don't know if this was neglect or not, just saying some non-neglect situations can fit the same description we've been given.
I agree. Not saying it isn't neglect in this case, but animals die sometimes, and we're not always home to hurry up and dispose of them. People have lives, jobs, classes. It's terrible enough to come home to find one of your animals dead, without being called neglectful.

a small pen about 13 by 13 pen with around 10-14 goats

So the pen is about 13x13 = 169 square feet
That would be about 17 square feet per goat for 10 goats, or 12 square feet each for 14 goats.

That's around the minimum recommended for goats, but not absolutely awful.

the goats only have a small shak open on two sides for shelter.

Whether that's enough depends on the climate. Of course it's not enough if there's a blizzard or hurricane, but it might be fine in more normal kinds of weather.

From what you describe, it does not sound like good living conditions, but I'm not sure whether it would be bad enough to count as abuse or neglect. (Not an expert, just giving my own guess based on what you've said.)

So the pen is about 13x13 = 169 square feet
That would be about 17 square feet per goat for 10 goats, or 12 square feet each for 14 goats.

That's around the minimum recommended for goats, but not absolutely awful.

Whether that's enough depends on the climate. Of course it's not enough if there's a blizzard or hurricane, but it might be fine in more normal kinds of weather.

From what you describe, it does not sound like good living conditions, but I'm not sure whether it would be bad enough to count as abuse or neglect. (Not an expert, just giving my own guess based on what you've said.)
Thanks, on paper I get what you mean, but once you see them im person, it can get really bad. The water is really dirty, they don’t get feed enough. I try to do what I can and give them a bunch of leaves now and then, and always give them the clippings of my yard debree, but It doesn’t seem enough ☹️.

Thanks, on paper I get what you mean, but once you see them im person, it can get really bad. The water is really dirty, they don’t get feed enough. I try to do what I can and give them a bunch of leaves now and then, and always give them the clippings of my yard debree, but It doesn’t seem enough ☹.
That is terrible! Start recording in a pages doc what you see, the date, with pictures. Then you can have proof, (the pictures) along with everything you are recording. Poor goats! Are the dead mom and kits still sitting there?

That is terrible! Start recording in a pages doc what you see, the date, with pictures. Then you can have proof, (the pictures) along with everything you are recording. Poor goats! Are the dead mom and kits still sitting there?
I haven’t seen them as I am away, however they were laying on the grass outside of the pen.

Back
Top Bottom