Is this bantam Cochin a cockerel?

yes it is a male...but it is not a cochin...it has a beard and cochins do not have beards

Last edited:
also cochins have loose fitting feathers to make them appear bigger and are rounder than that ...he has tight fitting feathers and is skinny and long...cochin do not have tail feathers that long

Last edited:
See how new I am to this all? It was given to my sons as a "Cochin" egg that we hatched. I have since learned the farmer the egg came from let her chickens all run wild so a mixed breed is very possible. I don't remember her having any of the type you mentioned though.

I thought the body (and especially tail feathers) looked a little off for a Cochin. Thanks for clearing that up! Oh, and so I can learn more, how can you tell it's a cockerel? I just want to be sure before I give it away. It was my son's favorite of the ones we hatched :(

you say it is 10 weeks old...well if it were a pullet her comb would still be very light pink or have no color at all...pullets combs dont get that red until they start laying eggs.

It is absolutely 10 weeks old as we hatched it ourselves. Aren't his tail feathers also pretty prominant if he were a pullet?

By the way, you are a complete genius because I just noticed where this farmer had posted d'Uccles for sale. Apparently that's (partially) what he is. Thanks again!!!

18c42863.jpg

thing is he has the wrong comb to be a cochin/d'uccle mix if he were to be that mix he would have a single comb and it appears his comb is a pea type comb which makes me think that he has brahma in him

To be honest, this bird looks to not have any Cochin in it at all. It looks like an Ameraucana x D'Uccle, maybe Ameraucana x Brahma, or something of the sorts? If it were a Cochin cross, you would see a little roundness in the rear, and the feathers wouldnt be this tight to the body as they are on this bird, it should at least resemble a Cochin, somewhat.

~Casey

Back
Top Bottom