Is this blood in young chickens poo?

Carmie

In the Brooder
5 Years
Aug 29, 2014
Sorry the quality isn't great.

LOOKS LIKE BLOOD TO ME. I have seen reddish loose poops in mine after too much watermelon or tomatoes, but the photo looks like real blood.

According to my favorite book, "Chicken Health for Dummies" the first thing to consider in young chickens with blood in runny poop is Coccidiosis and best to treat all for this. Left untreated it is fatal. It is more common warm weather, wet conditions, overcrowding. They would start to look ill, pale, droopy and poor/no appetite, "fussy".

But if they have been on medicated feed or were vaccinated at day old, then not likely.

More likely if they are between 3-5 weeks of age. that's when they are more susceptible. Over that age, they have developed immunity to it on their own.

Treatment is Amprolium or sulfa drugs - but the book warns about administering sulfa drugs - too much is toxic.

I think if they are older that 5-6 weeks, more likely worms. But I would not worm unless you are sure what it is.

*** If there is a local vet who treats chickens consult them for treatment advise. If you have none - like us - call your county extension agent - they can get answers from associated poultry vet schools.

***There is a test for blood in human, should work for chickens too -guaiac or hemoccult test - may be able to get a kit at pharmacy? Very simple just put small wipe on the card, add H2O2 to it and card turns blue if the specimen has blood.

Thank you so much, I ended up giving the young chicken back, she will be treated by the farm and quarantined and I gave my other chicken some baycox in case it is Coccidiosis and she was infected. Thank you for your help!

Back
Top Bottom