Is this BLOODY POOP? 😱🐥😱🐥😱

Correct on the mixing instructions, but you are pausing for five to seven days in between the two rounds of Corid, giving any oocytes (sort of like eggs) the chance to hatch and begin the life cycle so that life will then get cut short by the next round of Corid denying these new coccidia the nourishment of thiamine.

Correct on the mixing instructions, but you are pausing for five to seven days in between the two rounds of Corid, giving any oocytes (sort of like eggs) the chance to hatch and begin the life cycle so that life will then get cut short by the next round of Corid denying these new coccidia the nourishment of thiamine.
Oh, I understand now! Sorry @azygous , I read your instructions wrong. 🤦🏻‍♀️

So it’s 5 days on, then 5-7 days off, then another 5 days on. Got it.

Do I give the the same strength of the diluted solution for both the mama and the baby? They are very different in size and weight so I just wanted to make sure.

And can I ask you your opinion on medicated chick starter? Do you use it? If so, for how long? I’m curious to know what your opinion is. You seem to have a lot of knowledge on this topic. I appreciate your help. :)

The Corid water solution strength is uniform for all chickens from young chicks to very large chickens. If you should ever need to give the Corid drench to a very sick chicken with coccidiosis, the dose is .1ml per pound of body weight of undiluted liquid Corid for three days along with the Corid water. Just file that info or write it on your bottle of Corid in the event you ever have any chickens hit hard with coccidiosis.

Medicated starter has a very low amount of amprolium (Corid) added. It's designed to encourage resistance in new chicks but won't prevent coccidiosis. I've quit using it years ago, and many of us simply raise our chicks on soil or sand that has very light coccidia, or we give the chicks a clump of sod to play with, and that helps them develop resistance slowly over their first few weeks during their window of "innoculation" where their bodies are able to grow antibodies against most pathogens normally in the environment.

Ok good. I was worried that the full strength .024% dilution might be too strong for the sick 2 1/2 week old chick.

Thank you for your awesome knowledge and clear instructions @azygous ! I know others reading this thread will benefit as well!

So a “drench” is giving the undiluted Corid solution to very sick birdies with coccidiosis. And this would be in addition to the diluted solution given in the waterer. I imagine a digital food scale would probably be the best way to determine a chick’s weight, right? I’m guessing a 2 1/2 week old chick weighs much less than a pound. I’ll have to do the math and figure out the proper dropper amount to give (if it gets to that point). Would the drench be given to the sick chick once per day for the 3 day period?

Your recommended treatment was the .024% dilution of Corid for 5 days, then 5-7 days off and then 5 days back on at the same .024% dilution. During that 5-7 day break, do you put probiotics or anything in the water?

Yes, the drench is also give to small chicks according to their weight. During the break in between Corid treatments, life will go back to normal. If you wish, you can give vitamins and probiotics during this break. But stop giving anything that has thiamine in it during treatment.

The chick is definitely pooping the bloody poop. I saw it this morning, in action, pooping it out myself. 😕

Please see attached photo that I took this morning. The chick is not acting particularly sick, yet the droppings look pretty significant to me, but I’m inexperienced. Does it look like I need to give the undiluted Corid to the chick? Or is the .024% mixed solution that I put in the waterer sufficient? (By the time I got home yesterday it was already dark, so this morning was the start of the Corid treatment via the waterer.)

Attachments

• BCD762F9-C18A-4237-A047-F9FDA5563307.jpeg
    BCD762F9-C18A-4237-A047-F9FDA5563307.jpeg
    826.9 KB · Views: 4
The chick is definitely pooping the bloody poop. I saw it this morning, in action, pooping it out myself. 😕

Please see attached photo that I took this morning. The chick is not acting particularly sick, yet the droppings look pretty significant to me, but I’m inexperienced. Does it look like I need to give the undiluted Corid to the chick? Or is the .024% mixed solution that I put in the waterer sufficient? (By the time I got home yesterday it was already dark, so this morning was the start of the Corid treatment via the waterer.)
I did not give the undiluted dosage to my one chick that I observed pooping blood only because she was not weak. But I did observe her multiple times a day and make sure she was drinking & I hand fed her wet mash made with the Corid water. Totally your call.

Last edited:
Yes, it's your decision. The blood is very concerning. If it were my chick, I would give it the drench along with the Corid water. I would want to be ahead of the crisis, and chicks can decline very fast when they take a turn for the worse.

I recently made an online purchase of a sulfa antibiotic https://www.jedds.com/shop/trimethoprinsulfa-100-g-medpet/ that goes in the water along with the Corid. I would use it if any of my chicks or adults pooped blood as it can signal inflammation of the intestines which can quickly grow bacteria. This is how chickens die from coccidiosis.

You might be able to find sulfa in a pet store as it would take up to two weeks to get it through the mail. That's why I bought it before I needed it.

I truly appreciate all the opinions given as it helps me figure out what I should do for my situation. Thanks to all that have weighed in on my thread. :)

Part of me says to hold off on the drench because the chick is not showing any severe symptoms as far as behavior is concerned. However, this morning, I noticed that the chick was not as perky as it normally is. Nothing extreme, but noticeable nonetheless. After about an hour or more after drinking the .024% Corid and water mixture it seemed better, so I think I’m on the right track. I’ve looked at many photos on this forum for comparison value, and the AMOUNT of bloody poop I’ve seen come out of my little 2 1/2 week old chick is VERY concerning to me.

@azygous , if I do the drench for 3 days, how many times a day would I administer it?

Back
Top Bottom