Is this BLOODY POOP? šŸ˜±šŸ„šŸ˜±šŸ„šŸ˜±

KauaiChickenMama

Songster
Jul 11, 2021
Kauai, Hawaii
Your opinions please! Is this bloody poop? Cocci???

This is my first experience with chicks.

HISTORY: Our Lavender Orpington chick is 2 1/2 weeks old. Mama took baby out of the top part of this chicken condo when it was about 1 week old. Neither have left the condo itself and they are the only occupants. There is dirt on the very bottom floor mixed with now dead grass. Inside the top coop, the wooden floor is topped with first a dusting of DE and then a light layer of pine shavings. I remove the droppings with a gloved hand regularly.

THIS MORNING: I just found what looks like a little puddle of BLOOD on the steps!!!??? I know it came from the chick because mama was still inside the top coop with the door down when I came to let them both out. (The chick must have wiggled itself through the cracked door. Itā€™s on a pull string and does not tightly close.) It looks pretty fresh. I looked the chick over and found NO remnant of blood anywhere on itā€™s light colored body, including itā€™s bottom. Itā€™s acting completely normal, eating and drinking like usual. šŸ¤·šŸ»ā€ā™€ļø

FOOD: organic starter grower crumble as main source of food. Fresh water daily with no other additives. And for the past week, Iā€™ve added a small handful from my hand (on occasion) of either dried meal worms, fresh picked clover and organic steel cut oatmeal. Would papaya cause this?? I actually gave the mama and baby some fresh papaya for the first time yesterday from my papaya tree.

Iā€™ve read on other threads about a medicine called corid. I will call my local feed store while I EAGERLY WAIT for your replies! (Thank you! šŸ™ )

There are baby chicks with their mamas walking around wild all over my island so itā€™s strange to think that the dirt could cause a problem for them. Maybe confinement is the reason.

Attachments

• 1207E763-0375-4ECF-84C2-AE069DA65B0A.jpeg
    1207E763-0375-4ECF-84C2-AE069DA65B0A.jpeg
    426.3 KB · Views: 31
  • 286D678B-6CA5-4C26-A45E-B4BB59713349.jpeg
    286D678B-6CA5-4C26-A45E-B4BB59713349.jpeg
    852.8 KB · Views: 10
  • 02787253-78F0-4C85-9F0F-4C95D46EF6BA.jpeg
    02787253-78F0-4C85-9F0F-4C95D46EF6BA.jpeg
    727.4 KB · Views: 8
  • 4F5A1457-A1E1-4589-A1A1-BF034EC08315.jpeg
    4F5A1457-A1E1-4589-A1A1-BF034EC08315.jpeg
    878.5 KB · Views: 10
Just got done visiting with Mr. Google. Papaya can cause diarrhea if eaten in large amounts, and the high amounts of beta carotene in it can indeed cause red-orange poop.

Blood is a strange substance. It does this clotting thing very soon after it's spilled that nothing else does. It gets a sort of "skin" on it like cooked pudding gets as it coagulates. Poop doesn't do this as quickly. Blood is also a ruby-red instead of red-orange. Your photo isn't really a decisive color that we can say with certainty it is or isn't blood, so treating with Corid is really the wise thing to do.

Corid is very safe as directed. It merely blocks vitamin B1 which the coccidia require for their life cycle. That's all it does. The dosage is correct at two teaspoon to one gallon of water for five days. Then do another round of the same after one week to get any oocytes that have hatched.

There is so little amprolium in medicated starter, it's not likely to overdose the chicks or really make any real difference in the Corid treatment. But it is a good idea to replenish B vitamins after Corid. Then withhold them again the second time you treat.

The yellow stuff on the chest is from indiscriminate lying about in its poop. It's likely yellow cecal from the Corid treatment. Don't worry about it. You might want to take a soapy wash rag and clean the chick, then blow dry or let it sun dry.

Broodies are under stress just being broody. It's a hard job. Give her extra protein and carbs to get her through this.

HISTORY: Our Lavender Orpington chick is 2 1/2 weeks old. Mama took baby out of the top part of this chicken condo when it was about 1 week old. Neither have left the condo itself and they are the only occupants. There is dirt on the very bottom floor mixed with now dead grass. Inside the top coop, the wooden floor is topped with first a dusting of DE and then a light layer of pine shavings. I remove the droppings with a gloved hand regularly.

THIS MORNING: I just found what looks like a little puddle of BLOOD on the steps!!!??? I know it came from the chick because mama was still inside the top coop with the door down when I came to let them both out. (The chick must have wiggled itself through the cracked door. Itā€™s on a pull string and does not tightly close.) It looks pretty fresh. I looked the chick over and found NO remnant of blood anywhere on itā€™s light colored body, including itā€™s bottom. Itā€™s acting completely normal, eating and drinking like usual. šŸ¤·šŸ»ā€ā™€ļø

FOOD: organic starter grower crumble as main source of food. Fresh water daily with no other additives. And for the past week, Iā€™ve added a small handful from my hand (on occasion) of either dried meal worms, fresh picked clover and organic steel cut oatmeal. Would papaya cause this?? I actually gave the mama and baby some fresh papaya for the first time yesterday from my papaya tree.

Iā€™ve read on other threads about a medicine called corid. I will call my local feed store while I EAGERLY WAIT for your replies! (Thank you! šŸ™ )

There are baby chicks with their mamas walking around wild all over my island so itā€™s strange to think that the dirt could cause a problem for them. Maybe confinement is the reason.
Yep, that's Coccidiosis, classic symptom is bloody poop.

Hello... yes that looks like bloody poop. You will want to start corid asap.
**It is 1.5 tsp per gallon H20 for powder form for 5 days. Then drop to 1/3 tsp per gallon for 7 to 14 days.
Then u can start some probiotics for 2 days or so to help build back good bacteria.
I am also dealing with this right now. I will be adding a preventative corid treatment on a set schedule for now on.
**I was told liquid dose is 2 tsp per gallon for 5 days then 1/2 tsp per gallon for 7 to 14 days. These doses are used among my chicken groups!
The lower dose is the preventative dose u would use for preventative dosing. I am not def on how many days but I'm sure you will figure it all out.
I wish you the best of luck. Like I said I am also dealing with this. šŸ™ K

Thank you so much for your reply, @Wyorp Rock ! They are both acting totally fine! Seeing that little bloody puddle freaked me out, so I went out and purchased the liquid Corid product. I didnā€™t start it yet as Iā€™m not home yet. Should I? What do you think??
It won't hurt Mama and baby if you do treat them.

Personally, I go by behavior as well as what poop looks like - since you are not home right now, see what droppings look like when you get there.

Back
Top Bottom