Is this BLOODY POOP? šŸ˜±šŸ„šŸ˜±šŸ„šŸ˜±

I hope your chick gets better! Luckily I have had no majorly sick chickens. Only a case of mild mites, which please no arguments on DE, but I used DE on the coop and mildly on the affected hen and I sprayed the coop with a mix of veg. oil, dish soap, and water to suffocate mites. On the bath, bathing chicks can be a risky thing. Wash in warm water, luke warm, not too hot not too cold. I would probably try not to use soap if I didn't have too. MAKE SURE she is COMPLETLY DRY before you put her back outside. Pullet maybe? I'm not very good with guessing yet. I have only had two batches of chicks. Good luck!

Thank you @TheCluckyClucker , I actually do all of the things you mentioned for mites as well, lol.

I wasnā€™t sure about bathing the chick, so that why I have refrained. This is my first time with chicks, so I wanted to ask the BYC Peeps out there. Itā€™s been 2 days since I discovered the yellow stuff on the chest and whatever it is, Iā€™m not sure if itā€™s good to leave it on either. If itā€™s better not to, then I wonā€™t. Iā€™ll wait to get more feedback.

And thanks for your thoughts on the sex too, lol. I believe there is another section where I could ask about that, but I figured I would throw that question at the end of my other questions mostly because I was annoyed with having to say hers/his all the time! šŸ˜‚ I figured if someone helping me through this issue of coccidiosis sees the pics and feels like they know what the sex is, then why not, right?

I know others will say differently, but I would not use a medicated feed while administering Corid.

http://www.poultrydvm.com/drugs/amprolium

1633309141272.jpeg

Your opinions please! Is this bloody poop? Cocci???

This is my first experience with chicks.

HISTORY: Our Lavender Orpington chick is 2 1/2 weeks old. Mama took baby out of the top part of this chicken condo when it was about 1 week old. Neither have left the condo itself and they are the only occupants. There is dirt on the very bottom floor mixed with now dead grass. Inside the top coop, the wooden floor is topped with first a dusting of DE and then a light layer of pine shavings. I remove the droppings with a gloved hand regularly.

THIS MORNING: I just found what looks like a little puddle of BLOOD on the steps!!!??? I know it came from the chick because mama was still inside the top coop with the door down when I came to let them both out. (The chick must have wiggled itself through the cracked door. Itā€™s on a pull string and does not tightly close.) It looks pretty fresh. I looked the chick over and found NO remnant of blood anywhere on itā€™s light colored body, including itā€™s bottom. Itā€™s acting completely normal, eating and drinking like usual. šŸ¤·šŸ»ā€ā™€ļø

FOOD: organic starter grower crumble as main source of food. Fresh water daily with no other additives. And for the past week, Iā€™ve added a small handful from my hand (on occasion) of either dried meal worms, fresh picked clover and organic steel cut oatmeal. Would papaya cause this?? I actually gave the mama and baby some fresh papaya for the first time yesterday from my papaya tree.

Iā€™ve read on other threads about a medicine called corid. I will call my local feed store while I EAGERLY WAIT for your replies! (Thank you! šŸ™ )

There are baby chicks with their mamas walking around wild all over my island so itā€™s strange to think that the dirt could cause a problem for them. Maybe confinement is the reason.
It sounds like it could.. And no, i beileve papaya wousnt cause this. Id bring her to a vet, keep a eye on her and her stools and make sure she has no other symptoms. Try giving them some viatamins and oatmeal maybe.

Should I still stop the 5 day .024% Corid treatment after tomorrow? Tomorrow will be day 5. The chick still has yellow diarrhea today, and today is day 4.

Iā€™ll try the washcloth idea, thanks. Thatā€™s probably better than a full on bath under the circumstances. Gross to think that the yellow stuff on her/his chest is diarrhea. šŸ˜

I feel like I canā€™t stay on top of all of this cleaning with all of these diarrhea droppings! Iā€™m trying my best to keep the little coop clean along with the waterer and feeders! Whew!šŸ˜£
I would, best of luck to your chickens :hugs

Back
Top Bottom