Is this Blue Ameraucana a cockerel?

Bladeguy

Chirping
5 Years
Sep 1, 2014
In July we hatched two Ameraucana chicks. I've been convinced they were both pullets. One is black, on is blue, and the black is extremely small compared to the blue. A few months ago, I started wondering whether my blue pullet is actually a blue cockerel. I'm pretty convinced now, but snapped a couple of pics and figured maybe a few more seasoned veterans would chime in and confirm. To be honest, I'm hoping it is a cockerel as I have 8 cockerel Marans that aren't doing well in the extreme cold, and I'm thinking of turning those guys into soup rather than make them deal with the remaining cold winter yet ahead, but I would still want a rooster for breeding some olive eggers, and if she is a he, I'm good to go. Let me know what you think.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Thanks everyone for the prompt responses! I know most people are usually looking for pullets, but in this case, I'm happy to hear it is a cockerel. Funny, so much smaller than my Marans cockerels, but seems more manly.....first to approach when we go in the run and refuses to be picked up and like it. No crowing yet, but could be the bigger Marans and all of their crowing keeps him quiet. Thanks again for being a great chicken community!

Thanks everyone for the prompt responses! I know most people are usually looking for pullets, but in this case, I'm happy to hear it is a cockerel. Funny, so much smaller than my Marans cockerels, but seems more manly.....first to approach when we go in the run and refuses to be picked up and like it. No crowing yet, but could be the bigger Marans and all of their crowing keeps him quiet. Thanks again for being a great chicken community!

Due to breed differences, it makes sense he is not as big as the Marans cockerels... Marans is a heavy weight breed, Ameraucanas are medium weight of large fowl breeds...

Back
Top Bottom