Is this bumblefoot? What to do, hen limps very badly!

Pics

KranK

Songster
Jul 13, 2020
Poland
My hen started limping today, or yesterday (today i think). In fact she's just jumping on one leg! She is trying not to use her leg at all. When i try to peek at it, she breathes heavily like she's very stressed and "closes" her fingers. There is a black scab on the leg. What should i do? Photos:
1613213625093.png

This could be the beginnings of Bumblefoot, however if so it is at an early stage and should not be affecting her walking like that.

Any splinter in the scab?

Any bruising on the leg?

This could be the beginnings of Bumblefoot, however if so it is at an early stage and should not be affecting her walking like that.

Any splinter in the scab?

Any bruising on the leg?
No, theres only a scab. I think i could even rip it off when tried (i say this just to let you imagine how much it holds, i wouldn't do such a thing without knowing what it is). No bruises and no splinters. Yesterday and today she had hit me when jumping off the roost (how unlucky...), maybe something went wrong in her leg because of this?

Could it be the cold? I notice she has snow on her feet. My poor girls are limping a bit too, it's brutally cold here. I've checked for frostbite but I don't see anything that looks like it on mine.

Hey!

So no bruising or anything? No cuts?

Sounds like a sprain, but has she been vaccinated against Mareks?
No bruises and no cuts. Her leg doesn't look sprained (but i'm not an expert). The scab is still there. Some people advised me to use ichthammol oinment on the leg and see if it works. Idk about vaccination. All i know is that we bought the chickens and soon after it many of them have passed (around five out of 20 i think + today another one), so we suspect that they weren't vaccinated for anything). The feet didn't swell, but nothing has changed in the limping.

Could it be the cold? I notice she has snow on her feet. My poor girls are limping a bit too, it's brutally cold here. I've checked for frostbite but I don't see anything that looks like it on mine.
Yeah, it is cold but they were closed in the coop for some days before limping. We noticed limping just when the coop went open and we saw her walking. And a day before she wasn't limping. Others aren't limping. I've had a few hens that started limping out of a sudden and in 2-3 months started gettin skinnier and weaker, and then just died. The youngest one of them died today and she wasn't even 2 years old! But they weren't limping that much.

No bruises and no cuts. Her leg doesn't look sprained (but i'm not an expert). The scab is still there. Some people advised me to use ichthammol oinment on the leg and see if it works. Idk about vaccination. All i know is that we bought the chickens and soon after it many of them have passed (around five out of 20 i think + today another one), so we suspect that they weren't vaccinated for anything). The feet didn't swell, but nothing has changed in the limping.
Oh dear. Sounds infectious and dangerous. Can you get a necropsy done?

where did you get them? Do they free range?

Back
Top Bottom