Is this bumblefoot?

wild chick

Songster
7 Years
Jul 23, 2016
Southern NM mountains @ 6400'
This gal was fine the night before, and the next morning (the 25th) couldn't bear weight on this foot. One toe swollen, at first I thought maybe she broke the toe, but after reading here, maybe bumblefoot? She is 11 months old, they free-range all day, coop at night, no nasty environments. She is lowest on the pecking order with the hens, but is the roosters favorite, so I've put her alone in an adjoining pen to the coop. Do I wait for this to bust open like an abscess or lance it? Those "cores" look like normal pad callus to me, and the swelling seems softest (i.e. where an abscess might burst) on the TOP of the toe, not the bottom. This is now a bit over 48 hours and no change. Suggestions please, I'm still in my first year of chicken experience. Thanks in advance!
P1150002.JPG

Yes. Where the scab/lesion is, is where the infection got in and started. Swelling may be large around the area. Once you remove all the infection, the swelling should go down. Important to make sure you get it all removed.

I had my first case of bumblefoot on my fav Roo. I was so new that it got away from me (the infection). Soaking it in epsom salts and warm (infant warm) water for 20 mins loosened up the bumbles so they just came off as I rubbed my thumb over it. My problem was he had so much damage in the one foot that I had to put him down. Oh soak every other day, but treat it every day with antibiotics.

Back
Top Bottom