Is this bumblefoot?

Question - is this just on one foot? If so - is it the left foot, and is there swelling on the rest of the leg?

I'm don't know much about ducks - but that looks slightly different than bumblefoot to me. The only other thing I could think of that could cause that type of swelling would be Mycoplasma synoviae.

https://www.merckvetmanual.com/poultry/mycoplasmosis/mycoplasma-synoviae-infection-in-poultry

It's the right foot. That is interesting to me though. I've had my suspicions that it is something else other than bumblefoot because I've dealt with it once before and this doesn't look like it. But there was heat coming from it at the beginning which led me to believe it is an infection of some kind.

@Vyctoria did a scab ever appear any more noticeable than when you first posted?

No, in fact the scab from where I was digging around before is just about healed.

It’s likely it’s an infection from a splinter or something. They also can get an infection in the bloodstream and then it collects in a joint and starts growing. Can you give her oral antibiotics for a week to see if it gets smaller? They sell probiotics at tractor supply that would be good to give her at the same time.

I am hoping for success for Vyctoria, and am very interested in this thread as I have a hen with exactly the same problem and symptoms - the foot is swollen and the leg now looks swollen but there is no wound, no scab and no darkened area either. I'm thinking that it may be an infection of some kind. I am going to start a new thread, as I don't want to intrude on Vyctoria's! I will be keeping an eye on this thread though - I've already gained some good advice about soaking the foot in epsom salts. Good luck, Vyctoria.

I'll admit that I've fallen away from soaking it all the time. The bottom feels as though the swelling is going down, but the top is still a lump. It doesn't hurt her at all and she acts like it isn't even there. I'm honestly baffled by it.

Back
Top Bottom