Is this caused by rooster?

MeepMeeps

Songster
5 Years
Jun 15, 2015
Long Island, NY
Hi, my chickens are about 9 months old and one is showing less feathers on her back. Is this because the rooster mates with her too much? She acts normal and is healthy otherwise- no signs of mites or lice and she's the only one of the group. Thanks.
[/IMG]

Last edited:
Could be the rooster or maybe she is getting picked on how many hens do u have generly one roo per 10 hens stops over mating

Thank you Rockriver. I have 5 girls, 1 boy. He is generally a gentleman but I see that is half the ratio...She is a bit higher in pecking order and haven't seen any of the girls peck on her. Do saddles work?

Saddles definitely work and that does look like damage from a rooster, IMO. I got mine from amazon.Com as I couldn't find any locally. This one has elastic that slips over each wing. I bought a size large for my RIR and it fits well. If you need more info let me know as there are different sizes and types. It worked wonders for us!

Good luck!

Hi, my chickens are about 9 months old and one is showing less feathers on her back. Is this because the rooster mates with her too much? She acts normal and is healthy otherwise- no signs of mites or lice and she's the only one of the group. Thanks.
[/IMG]

A rooster usually has a favorite hen that he may mate with more than the others and when that happens the hens feathers on there back starts to fall or be pulled out

Thank you - I think she might be his favorite. They are all laying except one or two are on break for the winter. She lays almost every day. I will check out the saddles and get her one asap!

Thank you - I think she might be his favorite. They are all laying except one or two are on break for the winter. She lays almost every day. I will check out the saddles and get her one asap!

Hens who dont lay wont let the roo mate them so he will give the others more attention once they start laying againg the problem should get better

Back
Top Bottom