Is this chick blind?

nicolevg

Songster
May 30, 2021
Tehachapi, CA
We just got our baby chicks in the mail this morning from Murray McMurray Hatchery. Six of the seven RIR girls were alive and extremely healthy looking. When I ordered, I said I wanted an extra chick of the hatchery's choosing 'cause I was assuming at least 1 of the chicks I ordered would die at some point in the first several days (which happened). I think the one they sent us is a male sultan chick, which I'm not complaining about at all. He'll be our first rooster, so we'll see what that will be like.

When I first took them out of the box and showed them the water, he was doing the worst and I thought he may not make it. His gate was very unbalanced and he walked in a zipzag/circle pattern for the first hour or so. He had a hard time getting back to the water and food, and I helped him out and that seemed to help him gain his strength. He also had a poopy butt, but once he had a chance to decompress and get some food and water and warmth in him, I cleaned that up and he seemed to do much better after that. (None of the RIR girls had poopy butts, problems walking, & all took to the water and food and warmer instantaneously. They seem like extremely hardy little birds.)

But now, he's been thriving for the past 5 hours and is VERY vocal and energetic. Problem is, he's still unstable on his feet (though nowhere nearly as bad as when he first came out of the box. He's actually quite fast now) and I think the reason for that is that he may be blind in one of his eyes. I can't tell if it's an infection or some sort of deformity/abnormality. His eye (to me, with my very limited chicken knowledge and experience) looks like the eyes of chicks that have just hatched.

Any ideas? Attached is one photo of "his good side" and two photos of his bum eye.

I know basically nothing about heritage breeds or breeds meant for show or to keep as pets. I just started keeping chickens this past spring (bought year-old hens from a local lady) & have so far chosen all my breeds based on their egg-laying abilities and hardiness to both hot summers and cold winters. I was thinking maybe since sultans are a heritage/rare breed that perhaps they're more prone to genetic disorders. Any information on heritage breeds/sultans would be appreciated, as I'm just starting researching all that stuff now... never had a reason to before.

Attachments

• 2cff0393eda229a5c449acee24a4a65c37a34a8cbb58492afc65146f6855be65.jpg
    2cff0393eda229a5c449acee24a4a65c37a34a8cbb58492afc65146f6855be65.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 23
  • 206f49db689e940b0cb003d3ac39ffdb824832885b34c37d9083abda22939d51.jpg
    206f49db689e940b0cb003d3ac39ffdb824832885b34c37d9083abda22939d51.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 10
  • 99aa2f82b92c23d34d729d69353823046a2155cabe42cf64946826315849c3fc.jpg
    99aa2f82b92c23d34d729d69353823046a2155cabe42cf64946826315849c3fc.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
One probably won’t survive the night because both eyes are shut like that and it’s effectively blind but the other two only have one eye shut each. 2 Egyptian fayoumi and one buff bantam.

Can you wet warm cotton swab and dab it around the closed eye, sometimes eye crust can keep the eye shut. Warm moisture helps to dissolve eye crust. But it also could be a genetic problem.

Can you wet warm cotton swab and dab it around the closed eye, sometimes eye crust can keep the eye shut. Warm moisture helps to dissolve eye crust. But it also could be a genetic problem.
Yes, good idea. I'll try that now. Should I just gently dab around the area, or should I dab/lightly brush with gentle sweeping motions across the eye? There's only the smallest ever dot of black of the eyeball that's visible (obviously I wouldn't put the q-tip on the eyeball directly).

Yes, good idea. I'll try that now. Should I just gently dab around the area, or should I dab/lightly brush with gentle sweeping motions across the eye? There's only the smallest ever dot of black of the eyeball that's visible (obviously I wouldn't put the q-tip on the eyeball directly. I'd dab/brush/sweep around it very lightly).

I'd dab gently around the area with warm saline solution (contact lens solution works great). You then can apply a tiny amount of terramycin (available at Tractor Supply) ointment to the area to help loosen up the gunk in the eye. I hope the little fella is okay.

I'd dab gently around the area with warm saline solution (contact lens solution works great). You then can apply a tiny amount of terramycin (available at Tractor Supply) ointment to the area to help loosen up the gunk in the eye. I hope the little fella is okay.
Thanks so much!! I’ll pick some up today. About to try dabbing the area with a warm wet q-tip to see how much that does.

Thanks for your help y'all!!! The q-tip in warm water was all it took! Our little sultan boy can now see! Thank you!

There was a big clump of feathers and eye crust stuck to his eye, which came off fairly easily with a little bit of very gentle prodding. As I was loosening the mass, more crusty bits from the covers of his eye came off with the lump, and I could see his membrane moving around/blinking underneath it. His eye at first looked a bit swollen like a newly hatched chick's eye would look. But it's been an hour now and both his eyes look the same. Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom