Is This Chick Just a Runt or What?!?!

bremat

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 7, 2009
KY
These cochin bantams are almost 3 weeks old. The grey colored one is sooo tiny compared to the rest. I have taken pictures of it and of another one with a can of beans for comparison. Pictures really don't show the true difference in the size of the 2. Also, shouldn't they be feathered out a little more than they are? I have 2 more that do have more feathers that are the same age and they are a little larger. Is she/he just a runt or could there be something wrong? It has never been as frisky as the others. Just worried about it. Thanks for your help!
30566_100_2511.jpg

30566_100_2513.jpg

30566_100_2514.jpg

Were all the eggs around the same size? If I were to guess I would say it's just because the egg was smaller than the others, or maybe it had less space to develop in because of large yolk, but i dont know because im new to hatching eggs etc.

it could just be a runt or just came out of a small egg.... is that tony stewart on that can of beans? lol I am watching the coca-cola 600 now.....Rain delay.....
barnie.gif
good luck with the chick!!
thumbsup.gif

Quote:
Awww, thanks. I think she/he is pretty sweet. I had another one just like, but it died about a week and a half ago. That is another reason I am worried about it.

I am not sure what size egg she came from as I did not hatch my cochins. I bought them when they were just a few days old. And yes, cherokeechick33, that is Tony Stewart on the can-lol. Did not even notice till you said that.

I've read on here about "runts" and "slow growers" who not only made it but grew to full size. I had a runt last year who did grow to adulthood but always stayed a little small. It was a roo, and the comb and wattles were smaller than the others of his breed, too, but he seemed perfectly healthy. His crow was funny! Was always accepted; not exactly at the top of the pecking order, but not the bottom, either. Lost to a fox.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom