Is she ok or just fat and aloof?

Kbolen

Chirping
Sep 9, 2023
This is Luna one of my orpingtons.
She is 7 weeks and quite larger (rounder) than the others.
Her behavior is very different than the rest of flock. Is she ok.
The others love when I bring them a little oatmeal. She wouldn’t have anything to do with it at all. also quite bigger than the rest.
I have a runt of the flock too but she is great.

Any thoughts? Is this just her personality?

Attachments

• IMG_4211.jpeg
    IMG_4211.jpeg
    1,017.2 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_4212.jpeg
    IMG_4212.jpeg
    613.1 KB · Views: 18
What was she doing when you took these pictures? Was she moving/walking? Trying to figure out if the posture is just mid-movement, or if she's standing like that. If she was standing like that for prolonged periods of time, then that would be a red flag for me - her head is tucked in and she looks a little hunched over and puffed up... They do that when they're not feeling well. At 7 weeks she should be active and curious. It's okay if she doesn't like oatmeal, they haven't developed a varied appetite at that age and may only be interested in their feed, which is okay. Being bigger is also okay, Orpingtons aren't small as a breed and if she's English, she'll be even bigger/fluffier. But is she big overall, as in - taller, fuller and heavier, or does she appear big because she's puffed up? How's her activity level? Does she walk around, scratch, climb, etc. like the others? If she's less active than the others, and appears big because she's puffed up, then there might be something going on.

She does walk around some and did jump on the perch but not anywhere as active as the others and she tends to be hunched as you say and puffed a lot. She doesn’t play around. She definitely doesn’t posture the same as the others. Even when they are all together in the coop she is still in that stooped like posture.

She does walk around some and did jump on the perch but not anywhere as active as the others and she tends to be hunched as you say and puffed a lot. She doesn’t play around. She definitely doesn’t posture the same as the others. Even when they are all together in the coop she is still in that stooped like posture.
Sounds like she has some kind of problem, unfortunately, though I can't tell what because they assume that "unwell" posture for any number of ailments. Try posting on the diseases sub-forum, or contacting a vet if you have one nearby.

Ekkkk.....stop with the daily oatmeal.
They may not be fat now but if they don't get a balanced diet daily they will end up fat or worse.

A balanced diet would be a chick crumbled feed only.

Ekkkk.....stop with the daily oatmeal.
They may not be fat now but if they don't get a balanced diet daily they will end up fat or worse.

A balanced diet would be a chick crumbled feed only.
It’s a small amount and I don’t do it daily at all. 99% of there diet is grower feed.

Happy to report that Luna is doing much better. On suggestion I went over to another forum on illness and someone was discussing their bird being the same way. The suggestion was to treat the water with Corid which I started immediately. This morning no more puffing, neck is up. She is energetic, playful, eating well and now I’m have a hard time identifying her from the other Lavender Orpingtons. I’m hoping in the weeks to come the feathering will help.
I am a happy chicken mama today.

Back
Top Bottom