Is this chick/keet shrink wrapped??!? Help please!

guineachickendad

Chirping
May 11, 2022
59853B0B-E5D9-49C4-8728-F0E9F018D7D5.jpeg

Guinea/chicken hybrid. The first one died, I don’t want this one to die too. Humidity is about 40-50, I’m trying to up it but it’s not helping.

@Weeg i know you have done hatches I think… I have not I’m unsure but I’m guessing it’s shrink wrapped. I have heard of people taking warm water on a brand new little paint brush and painting water on the dried membrane but I would research that first

View attachment 3215263

Guinea/chicken hybrid. The first one died, I don’t want this one to die too. Humidity is about 40-50, I’m trying to up it but it’s not helping.
What makes you think it’s shrink wrapped? How long has it been externally pipped? It can take 24 hours for a chick to go from pip to zip. Is it making a chewing motion with its beak? If so, it’s still absorbing the yolk sack.
I would up the humidity. I always keep it at 70% during lockdown, though I know dry Hatcher’s keep it lower.
It also wouldn’t hurt to put coconut oil on the membrane.

What makes you think it’s shrink wrapped? How long has it been externally pipped? It can take 24 hours for a chick to go from pip to zip. Is it making a chewing motion with its beak? If so, it’s still absorbing the yolk sack.
I would up the humidity. I always keep it at 70% during lockdown, though I know dry Hatcher’s keep it lower.
It also wouldn’t hurt to put coconut oil on the membrane.
6-8 hours externally pipped. And it hasn’t moved from that position since. It’s activity has declined a lot, which is why I’m worried. I know they take naps, I’ve hatched quite a few chicken eggs. First time with Guinea eggs.

Humidity is now in the 70s. It’s been over 12 hours since I’ve taken that photo, and still no difference in the egg or position of the bird. The veins on the membrane are shrinking and becoming less red and visible.

Humidity is now in the 70s. It’s been over 12 hours since I’ve taken that photo, and still no difference in the egg or position of the bird. The veins on the membrane are shrinking and becoming less red and visible.
The veins shrinking likely means the last of the yolk sack is being absorbed. As birds absorb the yolk sack, the veins recede. If you were to help before veins receded, you could cause the chick to bleed out and die.

Back
Top Bottom